Screwed up seasons

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
I've posted some pictures in the Picture forum but knowing everybody does not necessarily go there, I thought I'd post here.

As most remember, we had a really super warm spring. In Michigan, all the fruit blossomed way ahead of time. I tried to salvage some peaches and apples and although I burned over a cord of wood, it just was not enough. There were very few apples and peaches to be found in the entire state.

So, we had our apples blossom in mid-April rather in May but now we are finding apple blossoms in October! There is one catch though in that so far we've found them only on thorn apple trees and fortunately our regular apple trees are not showing blossoms. Perhaps one reason is that the thorn apples have all dropped all their leaf while the others still have some leaf. Here is just one picture to show and you can go to the Perfect Picture to see the rest.

Question: Has anyone seen or heard of this happening in the past? Do you think this perhaps is a sign of many more changes to come? Good or bad?

Apple blossoms in Oct-2.JPG

The end is near! :eek:

Never seen it myself, but this comes from a very old book, I'm sure a more accurate cause could be defined today.....

This section is from the book "The Gardener's Monthly And Horticulturist V20", by Thomas Meehan. See also: Four-Season Harvest: Organic Vegetables from Your Home Garden All Year Long.
Fall Blooming Of Apple Trees

J. P. asks : "I would like to be informed, if possible, of the reason of and cure for two Maiden Blush apple trees belonging to a friend of mine, blooming for several years past in October and not in Spring. Situated at Red Bank, N. J., light, sandy soil, about seven miles from sea shore".
[Trees which usually bloom in Spring or Summer, bloom only in Autumn when the leaves have been destroyed or injured before the proper time for the fall of the leaf in Autumn.
Sometimes it is by leaf-blight, sometimes by caterpillars, but in some way the leaves of your friend's trees have been injured towards the end of Summer, and in this direction you must look for the cause. - Ed. G. M].

Strange indeed.
Never heard of that happening.
Got a local farm extension? Maybe they have an explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.