Scrounge 2009.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Up until last week this years scrounging has been plain horrible! Spring time is usually my best time to score free wood. Well, this spring I traveled extensively & was extremely busy with work & slowly was convincing myself that it is time to pay for firewood. During the summer, again I was away quite a bit......& it was starting to look like I will be in trouble for 2010-11 season. I pulled the trigger & purchased two face cords of beautiful white ash :-S A day later I heard the sound of a chain saw (music to my ears) couple of streets down. I went to check it out & was disappointed to see a small Box Elder being taken down. I usually pass on this stuff since it is hard to split, it smells like ... & burns too fast. I convinced myself that since the tree is relatively small & straight it should not be too tough to split & it is still better than buying wood. It was the end of Aug. & I had a cord of fuel for 2010-11 not too good!

Well, last week again "music to my ears" across the street a dead elm was being removed. At this point I am not picky at all. I ask the tree guy if I can have the wood & he replies "only if you take everything what's on the trailer" And here is my final scrounge of 2009. A good size dead elm, some maple (silver & norway I believe) & a large spruce. It took me three hrs to buck it & stack it. I have rented a splitter for next Tue. to finish the process. I think there s/b about two cords here maybe a bit less. I am horrible at estimating this stuff unless it is properly stacked

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 322
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 302
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 296
Sorry for the pics I am having problems with attachments as you can see (new software).

Status
Not open for further replies.