Scrounge and wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weatherguy

Minister of Fire
Feb 20, 2009
Central Mass
IMG_8340.JPGIMG_8341.JPGIMG_8342.JPGIMG_8343.JPG

Ive been restocking my wood pile and I got a few truckloads from an apartment complex in town, the tree guy said I could take all I want and he piled it on the side for me. Ive never seen this type of wood before, its very heavy and hard, splits fairly easily, anyone have an idea what it may be?

Attachments

• IMG_8339.JPG
    IMG_8339.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 106
Pretty sure its not white oak as Ive had quite a bit of that and this looks different, the wood almost looks like a type of maple.

Kinda looks like Maple...

Best guess, Maple. Heavy as all get out if cut green - especially this time of year. Holds so much juice a green cut will flow water out.

Reactions: weatherguy
Best guess, Maple. Heavy as all get out if cut green - especially this time of year. Holds so much juice a green cut will flow water out.
So it should be a lot lighter come next year, I only cut a couple pieces and didnt notice and water but Im gonna attack that whole pile next weekend and get it split and racked.

That wood has been cut for a little while which is good for you. Already lighter!! Yes - Maple looses a LOT of weight in the seasoning process

Hard/Sugar Maple or if your a certain Canadian, Ash :)

Hard/Sugar Maple or if your a certain Canadian, Ash :)
Yes!, just looked it up, its sugar maple, Im psyched, 15-16 should be a good year for burning for me, Ill have 4 cords of red oak and this sugar maple all seasoned 3 years.
Thanks guys

For sure some really great firewood. Get all you can as you won't be sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.