Scrounge id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this texas wood?

Are they from the same tree or two different woods? The bigger piece in the first two pictures almost looks like Black Locust, the smaller 3rd picture looks like Pear. But I could be wrong.....

Believed to be from the same tree. Originally thought it was mesquite ( reason I grabbed it) I'll post more split and bark pics shortly.

I don't know southern woods but it looks like what I would think Pecan wood would look like.

I've seen other cherry (I.e., Prunus spp.) species with similar bug eaten bark/cambian areas. I thought it looked like some kind of cherry.

Either way it measures about 20 percent on a fresh split face. Less than a week later the splits measure way under 20% (4 day old face) pic included: mesquite as I originally thought.

Last edited:
Is there locust in Texas? Looks like dry locust.

Yard bird honey locust are in my stacks never seen BL. Edit: no splinters on the grain like locust. Bark is nowhere near as thick as BL appears from pics. And not scaly like HL. Also pulled some red cedar like chips from the saw.

Last edited:
Someone just posted pics of mesquite, the bark looked flat and stringy like Cedar. Like a day or so ago. It was on a scrounge post.
But what you have looks interesting, like it would have a strong smell.

Someone just posted pics of mesquite, the bark looked flat and stringy like Cedar. Like a day or so ago. It was on a scrounge post.
But what you have looks interesting, like it would have a strong smell.

Well I have a 1/2 chord of Almond from our local supplier and the grain and color are right on.

Status
Not open for further replies.