Scrounge Pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhem

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2007
Saugerties, NY
This is last fall's scrounge actually. Its only recently come out from under the snow, so I figured a couple pics before I start into it would be good.

Almost all red oak so its not going to be very suitable for this coming winter. A big pile of beech on the far end, out of the frame. The majority of these rounds are about 14-15" in diameter, all straight grains too.

Attachments

• Woodpile2.jpg
    Woodpile2.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 562
  • Woodpile.jpg
    Woodpile.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 540
Very nice!!!!

Scott

Perfect rounds like that could almost be lined up for a chopping competition :)

Sweet!

Seemed a shame to cut it up...dozens and dozens of 15-25 foot straight trunks. All from a heavily wooded area so no low branches. Would have been great to grapple a bunch and try out an Alaskan mill...but a few grand worth of wood is ok too.

More there, but the excavators and dozers are up to the work area now and the remaining good trunks are covered with dirt, and stumps and I suspect there's alot of tension on some of them. Bad accident waiting to happen.

Nice looking wood there!

That's some fine firewood there! Oak splits great when straight like that..

Ray

Splitting Oak like that is darn near child's play! I bought the 2.5 lb Fiskars for stuff like that. Less wear and tear on the body.

Oak is worth waiting for, I have a special place put aside to season some oak when I get some.

Well, looks lke that pile has yeilded all its going to give up for me.

I shed a single tear when I walked out of the work last night and saw this.

That pile is about the size of a 2 car garage...it includes stumps, but I bet there was still between 10-20 cords of good wood in there that I just couldn't get at.

Anyone need some fresh red oak/beech/white birch mulch?

Attachments

• mulch.jpg
    mulch.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 304
Chippers are evil, the big ones anyway. They can have all the stuff under 12" but should leave the rest for us.

Man I would love to have that stuff to split just for the enjoyment of splitting wood. That is some fine stuff to make you feel real good about your splitting skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.