scrounge with ?'s and pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

curber

Feeling the Heat
Oct 6, 2011
south east idaho
Got a call from my tree service bud yesterday. Its a good load of H/L, Ash and maple. The question is what type of maple did I get? I'm really starting to get thes guy's trained to what I'm looking for. Thanks Pat

Attachments

• wood houler 013.jpg
    wood houler 013.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 459
  • wood houler 011.jpg
    wood houler 011.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 451
  • wood houler 012.jpg
    wood houler 012.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 437
Hears another of the maple.

Attachments

• wood houler 010.jpg
    wood houler 010.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 455
Looks like some variety of red maple. I have burned it & like it. Doesn't burn as hot or long as sugar maple, but a decent
Wood to say the least.

Definitely what we call soft maple. It will dry extremely fast. 6 months will do the trick. This is also one wood that will dry good even left in tree length. We cut some of those for the deer in the winter. Leave them a year or two and they are super dry all the way through.

curber said:
Hears another of the maple.

Curber, nice score. It will be some nice btu's for you next heating season.

zp

Nice score.
It's all BTUs.
I'm guessing it's all CSS by now :)

[quote author="bogydave" date="1321854072"]Nice score.
It's all BTUs.
I'm guessing it's all CSS by now :)[/quo

No I havent gotten to it yet. Hopefully this week. Pat

It's silver and a great shoulder season wood, cut split and stack right away and if you run short you might be able to burn some in april/may if needed.

That's a whole mix bag of stuff. The close up pics are Poplar (just look at those growth rings)
Post more pics, I'll help you ID some of it.

WoodBucther

WOODBUTCHER said:
That's a whole mix bag of stuff. The close up pics are Poplar (just look at those growth rings)

WoodBucther

Never seen poplar with silver bark. I can get more pics tomarow. Pat

curber said:
WOODBUTCHER said:

WoodBucther

Never seen poplar with silver bark. I can get more pics tomarow. Pat

Nice trailer and good stash of free wood, HL is good stuff also......

WoodButcher

Status
Not open for further replies.