Scrounge wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That black birch you are talking about is Black Cherry.....its bark is smoother on the smaller limp pieces.

nrford said:
mo381 said:
kestrel said:
Top two pictures look like pignut hickory to me.
It split pretty easy felt somewhat light and had some red in the heartwood.

BOX ELDER!!!

Exactly right-could tell by that reddish-purple "stain" on the end cut....

Good ID job!

iod0816 said:
Agree with everything else except there's one pic in there of black birch... I am sure the pictures line up in different orders so saying what # is prolly meaningless but def black birch. Do any pieces smell minty!?

I see that picture you are referring to, but that is a youngish piece of Black Cherry, not Black Birch. Young cherrys have that birchy-looking bark, and I don't think Black Birch occurs in Indiana.

Ya I see and know the close resemblence but to me the sapwood looks too white for cherry of that size... oh well, I usually get the coke cherry looking trees like in image 218 versus what I think is black birch in 219 (I found the numbers by moving my mouse cursor over the picture). And cherry I've played around with has been more reddish sapwood and heartwood than white-ish... though ZAP has had some white-ish looking cherry pics. OH well.

Bark is too close either way! Smell matters now, lol. Though I think you do find them in his area though don't know for sure.

Here are some pics of the mulberry splits.

Attachments

• 1330100855444.jpg
    1330100855444.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 1330100870509.jpg
    1330100870509.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 120
A Mulberry tree I cut down off of my parents land had the TIGHTEST growth rings I had ever seen and had no sapwood at all. I counted 70 rings in a 15inch diamater sized trunk. Crazy! Slowest growing Mulberry I have ever seen. Have burned a lot of Mulberry and have never seen anything close to that before.

Mulberry is great stuff by the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.