Scrounge??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdman1

Feb 10, 2009
Jersey Shore
Don't know if it qualifies as a scrounge, but I took a pick up full of wood out of a guys yard today.

The I don't know if it counts part is, I took two trailer loads of brush with it and the dude paid
340 bucks. First time I got paid to take free wood-lol.

cherry and holly, heard holly is good. Super heavy wood,
any ideas on how long it's gotta sit till it's good.

I burned some American Holly last year green as could be. The firewood poem says it "should" be burned green, but I'm not sure why since I used it all up before any of it seasoned. Make no mistake, it burns and burns well green - I was flabbergasted. The cherry should be ready to go next season. I actually just got back from a scrounge of a downed pear tree myself. I love all fruit tree wood (that I have tried). If you let the holly season I would treat it like pine (just guessing tho)...in that it will probably burn hot and fast, might be good to mix in some hardwoods.

Birdman1 said:
First time I got paid to take free wood-lol

Bravo...what's the secret?

It's great when you get free firewood and still get paid! Congratulations.

thats a 2fer

Backwoods Savage said:
It's great when you get free firewood and still get paid! Congratulations.

Thanks sav.
The guy that posted above ya is a new guy I told about yall here, he just got his stove put in a few weeks ago
and has been my scrounging partner for the last few weeks,he did the job with me.

plus we went today to pick up a white oak that was cut yesterday and on the way there stopped to pick up a few bucks a guy owed
him, while there the guy saw the trailer and asked if he did clean outs, long story short we took a short box ford full of sticks plus thee wheelbarrows
full of leaves in the trailer on top of the white oak and got another 200.00. Took an hour.

Looks like the trailer is paying out after all so far with out even looking for it.

rathmir said:
I burned some American Holly last year green as could be. The firewood poem says it "should" be burned green, but I'm not sure why since I used it all up before any of it seasoned. Make no mistake, it burns and burns well green - I was flabbergasted. The cherry should be ready to go next season. I actually just got back from a scrounge of a downed pear tree myself. I love all fruit tree wood (that I have tried). If you let the holly season I would treat it like pine (just guessing tho)...in that it will probably burn hot and fast, might be good to mix in some hardwoods.

Thanks for the info on the holly could not find much out there but goona give a shot next time I light up.

Hurricane said:
You gotta teach us how to get paid to take firewood !

Great score :)

I wish I had somethin ta teach.
Kinda just fell that way.
I am never that lucky, so now I'm waiting for something for sumthin unlucky to happen.
If it happens again I am sure I will start thinkin that some one is playing some kind of elaborate joke
on me or sumthin.

Status
Not open for further replies.