Scrounged with needed help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisNJ

Feeling the Heat
Sep 25, 2009
Burlington County
So last Thursday CL add near work says must take it all, well with my time constraints and mini truck I cant commit to that. Lucky for me the add had st and town so I just show up Friday at lunch time and they are there cutting so I ask if I can grab my meager 1/4 cord load and he says np although others are on the way and it needs it to be gone so he can get paid. Well I bust a nut, aggravating my hernia more with the first full truck load by lifting it by hand :-( (ie. dumb arse) After getting home I sent him an email thanking him for the wood and gave him # if ever in area. I saw add on Sat of 4 big pieces left and he cld my cell Sun to see if I could get em. Well after agreeing I remembered a post here of the log lifter so I did a search and tada, no collapsing in the street. Lucky for me and my small truck there were actually only 3 pieces left. Oh and my first encounter with Ash, can't wait to start splitting it :)
IMG_3096.gif

IMG_3095.gif

Thanks for the lesson on lifting guys, got a great tool now :)

LOL Very Cute!

Nice log lifter you have there!

You will like splitting those logs too. Nice.

Trying to remember . . . Chris were you the one with the pic of the kid and the ice cream sandwich . . . if so I'm beginning to see a recurring theme . . . wood, kids and cold treats. ;) :)

Yea firefighterjake, due to the family schedules it is hard to do anything without the little ones and they get nice and relaxed when they have something to occupy them. I actually do most of my splitting on the driveway while they are running around playing, its hard to find dedicated wood time.

btw I went to College in Unity, and because of the awesomeness of the people I discovered up there that's where we mostly vacation and plan to move when the kids outgrow us, bit of difference between NJ and NE.

Treasure the time with the kids, not sure I did that enough but am trying to make up for it now and the grand kids are spoiled. You have a very cute girl there.

ChrisNJ said:
Yea firefighterjake, due to the family schedules it is hard to do anything without the little ones and they get nice and relaxed when they have something to occupy them. I actually do most of my splitting on the driveway while they are running around playing, its hard to find dedicated wood time.

Ditto here - they love going for a ride in the truck and as long as the load time isn't too long they stay happy. Hard to keep those frozen treats cold too long though :)

I think my kids are either going to end up really valuing hard work from watching it or their therapists are going to hear a lot of wood splitting and hauling stories....

ChrisNJ said:

btw I went to College in Unity, and because of the awesomeness of the people I discovered up there that's where we mostly vacation and plan to move when the kids outgrow us, bit of difference between NJ and NE.

I thought so . . . cute kids . . . and nice pics of wood. Of course you'll cherish the pics of the kids long after you've burned and forgotten about the wood.

Neat . . . I'm a bit fond of Unity myself . . . although I went to school in the south . . . New England College in Henniker, NH . . . similar school though . . . small, liberal arts college in a country setting . . . and I agree . . . it's a nice place to live. When did you go to school here?

firefighterjake said:
ChrisNJ said:

I thought so . . . cute kids . . . and nice pics of wood. Of course you'll cherish the pics of the kids long after you've burned and forgotten about the wood.

Neat . . . I'm a bit fond of Unity myself . . . although I went to school in the south . . . New England College in Henniker, NH . . . similar school though . . . small, liberal arts college in a country setting . . . and I agree . . . it's a nice place to live. When did you go to school here?

1986-1990 had a great time but unfortunately spent more time chasing Grouse than with the school work, LOL another reason I want to live in NE, just to have a chance at them thunder chickens again , actually the duck hunting was fantastic also and I messed up on an opportunity of a buck of a lifetime. And the fishing :-O

ChrisNJ said:
firefighterjake said:
ChrisNJ said:

1986-1990 had a great time but unfortunately spent more time chasing Grouse than with the school work, LOL another reason I want to live in NE, just to have a chance at them thunder chickens again , actually the duck hunting was fantastic also and I messed up on an opportunity of a buck of a lifetime. And the fishing :-O

Ah . . . you were here when I was around then . . . I graduated high school in '88 and college in '92 . . . and yeah . . . it's a sportsman paradise.

Slow1 said:
ChrisNJ said:

Ditto here - they love going for a ride in the truck and as long as the load time isn't too long they stay happy. Hard to keep those frozen treats cold too long though :)

I think my kids are either going to end up really valuing hard work from watching it or their therapists are going to hear a lot of wood splitting and hauling stories....

My 4 yo daughter says that I'm a chipmunk because all I do is collect wood. Where the chipmunk part came from I don't know, but I'll take it as a compliment. She loves to help me move the splits. My 1.5 yo son can not keep his hands off my fiskars and I have to watch him like a hawk when I put the chainsaw on the ground. I think I'm going to get him the toy husky I saw on Baileys (I think) for Christmas. Even though that will cause problems if I don't get one for my daughter too. Good times.

ChrisNJ said:
Well after agreeing I remembered a post here of the log lifter so I did a search and tada, no collapsing in the street
Thanks for the lesson on lifting guys, got a great tool now :)

Would you mind sharing the info on the lifter?

Status
Not open for further replies.