SCROUNGER HEAVEN

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Llamaman

Oct 6, 2009
MA
today could be best day of my scrounging career.......picked up two trailer loads of bucked oak at town DPW and found some tree guys on CL doing job locally - just left my little trailer there for them to fill and expect to be shuttling free wood back to my house all afternoon - think they may do a load or two in their truck too - just had to share my excitement with fellow scroungers as my wife thinks I am nuts!! (she may be right) - if the Pats win this could be a really great weekend!

PS - have not shoveled yet this year

She wont think you're nuts when the house is toasty & she realizes how much money you're saving on heating it.

Had me going right up to the Pats! Sorry about your weekend... :cheese:

smokinjay said:
Had me going right up to the Pats! Sorry about your weekend... :cheese:

+1

After X number of years, my wife no longer rolls her eyes or jokes (so much) when I drag firewood home. Perhaps all come to conclude, eventually, that it's a harmless affliction. Different wives no doubt need longer than others to accept their husband's wood ilness. Mine still thinks I'm nuts though... BTW -- nice score !!!

Reactions: Soundchasm
sounds like a fantastic score! I just had a series of fortunate events this morning, too. Went to look at a tree job for a guy at work at his father in laws place. On the way there we were talking about the weather and such, and got on the topic of snowmobiles. he said his buddy had a couple and they needed to go. After looking at the tree job (should be an easy cord and a half of ash/hard maple and a couple of bucks to boot) we went and looked at the sleds. One was too new and too much money, the other was a 93 Polaris 580 triple with lots of little mods to the motor, ended up getting that thing for $450.00! on the way back to drop my buddy off at his house he showed me another tree job (two HUGE red oaks, at least 100 footers, straight drops into the ladies back yard), easy couple hundred bucks and at least 5 cord of oak!. Great saturday for me too!! (BTW, GO GIANTS!!!)

Coffee and breakfast sandwiches go a long way with those DPW guys.

Llamaman said:
today could be best day of my scrounging career.......picked up two trailer loads of bucked oak at town DPW and found some tree guys on CL doing job locally - just left my little trailer there for them to fill and expect to be shuttling free wood back to my house all afternoon - think they may do a load or two in their truck too - just had to share my excitement with fellow scroungers as my wife thinks I am nuts!! (she may be right) - if the Pats win this could be a really great weekend!

Nice scrounge Llamaman. Watch the Giants defensive rush up the middle on Brady, it could be a long came for him.

zap

zapny said:
Llamaman said:

Nice scrounge Llamaman. Watch the Giants defensive rush up the middle on Brady, it could be a long came for him.

zap
Zap I hope you are right!

nice game boys - may have to listen to tunes on way to work this morning, not sure I can handle the angry losers on sports radio - at least I have my big scrounge to console me

Well so much for the Pats . . . at least you have your wood.

Still a good weekend.
The wood is gonna last a while & pay you back in $$.
Pats lose, will just be short term hurt feelings :)

man, I gotta stay off Craigs List! just spotted another score- cord of pine bucked into stove length lined up on guys driveway 5 minutes away........think I may sneak out with trailer under false pretense as I promised my wife no more until I split and stacked my megascrounge from last weekend -anyone else have to employ "covert operations"?!!

Old thread but yes to post #14. LOL

I've brought a load (or more) home and tossed them into the pile of rounds before even shutting the truck off.

Reactions: Omaha419
just had to share my excitement with fellow scroungers as my wife thinks I am nuts!! (she may be right)

-anyone else have to employ "covert operations"?!!

I guess I am crazy lucky, my wife says things like "If you buy a splitter then I can split the wood myself while you are at work"

Aww honey, do I have to buy a splitter

20161002_125426.jpg

Ok... Fine.. sheesh. As long as she is happy right.

In my case, neighbor across the street had trunks taken down to rounds perfectly stacked about a hundred ft from my driveway, it's so "in my face" I have to quietly taking several rounds at a time, split and stash under bungee tarped. She did notice and commented on neighbors pile is being taken. I said yes, it is, haha. I didn't lie.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.