Scrounger's Jackpot - Today's Load

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Update:
Well I got my second load from the farm today! I have to be honest, I pushed myself a bit too hard in this heat (92 degrees). I got 100% Oak again, and I loaded the truck to the absolute max, and man that oak is heavy.

It's all worth it in the end though, I am just getting the most perfect straight beautiful rounds of oak I have ever cut in my life from this place. Like I said a few posts back, I plan to go back on Saturday with some others to get another load.

Below are the pics, since it obviously did not happen if there are no pics!

Attachments

• IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0259.jpg
    IMG_0259.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0260.jpg
    IMG_0260.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0261.jpg
    IMG_0261.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0262.jpg
    IMG_0262.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0263.jpg
    IMG_0263.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 151
Reactions: blujacket and ScotO
Very nice. Some good stacking there too.

Great looking load of oak, BTW hows the timberline working ??

Great looking load of oak, BTW hows the timberline working ??

Working fantastic! I used it before the first load, and in between the first and second load. I love having a sharp chain every time I go out, instead of waiting until its dull and taking it to the dealer.

Im amazed at how new trucks can be loaded! they definitly make half tons more like the old 3/4 ton trucks. My 1980 k10 would poit to the sky stacked like that, and trust me i have done it. My ranger the same and thats with a tool box taking up 33% of the bed! I know my trucks are old but no so worn that the springs only hold half the factory specs!

Reactions: basod
Im amazed at how new trucks can be loaded! they definitly make half tons more like the old 3/4 ton trucks. My 1980 k10 would poit to the sky stacked like that, and trust me i have done it. My ranger the same and thats with a tool box taking up 33% of the bed! I know my trucks are old but no so worn that the springs only hold half the factory specs!

I'm actually glad you brought this up clemson! I wanted to ask, does anyone think I dangerously overloaded that? Thats honestly probably the heaviest load I have ever had on there, being that its stacked to the gills and all oak. It handled pretty well honestly, it didn't feel dangerous. Opinions?

BTW I have the 4.6 3v V8 if it matters. I have Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires as well (which handle way better under load than stock).

Edit:
So I measured how much the last load ended up being, and it was about 1/2 cord split and stacked. I have found various weights of oak firewood, but it looks like a cord is about 4,200-ish if you take an average of what I found online.

This gives me a load of 2,100. Holy crap. My rated payload is about 1,300. Wow. Should I be extremely worried here, or do you guys do this all the time too? Now I am freaked I carried that much!

Edit 2:
I did some research on the F-150 forums, and it looks like Ford WAY underestimates the payload capacity. Looks like a ton of people have hauled as much as I did many times. I still might take it a bit easier on Saturday when I go again, but it seems like I wasn't in super dangerous territory? Anyway, I'll stop rambling here. :)

Update:
Well I got my second load from the farm today! I have to be honest, I pushed myself a bit too hard in this heat (92 degrees). I got 100% Oak again, and I loaded the truck to the absolute max, and man that oak is heavy.

It's all worth it in the end though, I am just getting the most perfect straight beautiful rounds of oak I have ever cut in my life from this place. Like I said a few posts back, I plan to go back on Saturday with some others to get another load.

Below are the pics, since it obviously did not happen if there are no pics!
Drool!
Nice JWO

Great looking wood.
Know what you mean about getting some straight grained stuff. Since I started cutting in the state wood area, it's fun to CSS the straight stuff.

Weight?
If you keep it loaded like this load, you should be fine.
The stuff looks like its been down a while so it's not totally water saturated with water like live tress are this time of the year.
No need to rush with a full load, take your time & you'll be fine. Roughly 2000 lbs & it handled it fine. No need to find out how much is to much. ;)
How far do you have to drive fully loaded?
A trailer would be nice eh?

trk capcty1.jpg

I quit receiving updates on this thread for some reason??

Either way... Holy Cow... Another Sweet load of Primo Wood and some sweet stacks!

I have carried a ton of Wood Pellets in my truck numerous times. I have an 03 F-150 FX4 SuperCrew. Never really worried... Not recommending it..... But I have had no issues.

2012-07-14_18-26-33_855.jpg

Boy I wish I could! The picture is very deceiving, thats actually a very steep hill. I tried once, and even with super aggressive tires I have, it was too scary to go up even without a load.

not to mention, everything from the sidewalk over to the right is actually my neighbors property, lol. He doesn't care at all about it, but I still wouldn't want to destroy the hill even if I could get it up that bank.

If I can drive up this you can back up that. It is not as scary as it seems.
1954_1015395781570_2681_n.jpg

I'm actually glad you brought this up clemson! I wanted to ask, does anyone think I dangerously overloaded that? Thats honestly probably the heaviest load I have ever had on there, being that its stacked to the gills and all oak. It handled pretty well honestly, it didn't feel dangerous. Opinions?

BTW I have the 4.6 3v V8 if it matters. I have Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires as well (which handle way better under load than stock).

I cut some logged property as well and what they leave behind is awesome for firewood.

When you are loading heavy with rounds, throw a piece of plywood down on the bed floor so you don't put waves in your floor. Don't ask me how I know this but after talking with a few guys around here they have had the same problem.

NO you did not carry to much, dont worry. It looks level to me in the pics. As long as the light are not pointing to the sky like they are in my avatar you doing fine.

That pic in my avatar is an empty bed but on that 16ft car hauler trailer i have 2 tiers of green oak logs. there is 2 rows, first row is 8ft and second row is 8ft so basically 16ft length and 2 levels high. Mostly 12-16"dbh stuff. I got one of my loggers to skid it buck it, then load it onto my trailer with his loader. This was all stuff that would be piled up after, cause there was not enough for a load.

based on the weight it felt like i was pulling i figure it was 8000lbs (counting the trailer of 1500lbs)or so just based on how it handles when i pull my tractor and implements which weigh in around 5000 max with trailer weight!

I guess the dimentions of that load were 16ft x 6ft x 2ft?? which would put it at about 1.5 cords which would fall in line with my weight estimites of the load. Pretty good i guess.

Edit:
So I measured how much the last load ended up being, and it was about 1/2 cord split and stacked. I have found various weights of oak firewood, but it looks like a cord is about 4,200-ish if you take an average of what I found online.

This gives me a load of 2,100. Holy crap. My rated payload is about 1,300. Wow. Should I be extremely worried here, or do you guys do this all the time too? Now I am freaked I carried that much!

Edit 2:
I did some research on the F-150 forums, and it looks like Ford WAY underestimates the payload capacity. Looks like a ton of people have hauled as much as I did many times. I still might take it a bit easier on Saturday when I go again, but it seems like I wasn't in super dangerous territory? Anyway, I'll stop rambling here. :)

You should see what I've put in my Subaru Legacy wagon!

Seriously great score, I'm so jealous I made my wife look at your pictures!

Good load of wood.

WOW!! A great score indeed. I paid $25/truck load once to get what you are taking home. It seems the Ford trucks can take heavy loads well. My F250 has side rails and was loaded to the max with hickory this spring. She did "crouch" a bit but handled it well, just take your time.

Thanks all for the comments, and cross cut you made me laugh as thats something I would do. Sounds like I don't have a ton to worry about with the truck, glad to know that!

Tomorrow should be a fun day, like I said earlier going with three trucks and four guys for more (I'll only keep my load). I'll try and take some more pictures of all three trucks loaded!

Reactions: DexterDay
Status
Not open for further replies.