scroungin' after the loggers...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

Dec 26, 2011
north wi
this was logged about this time last year. I didnt see much until I got off the atv and walked through . This was about 100 feet of log road, there's a half mile easy. 019 (1024x768).jpg018 (1024x768).jpg

There is a 60 acre tract of land that was logged last month about 7 miles from my house. I can see hundreds of cords of wood laying there from the road. The first time I see anybody there, I will stop and ask if I can take some.

There are some nice rounds in there. Hopefully they'll split easy :)

after a couple trips like that, you are going to have a nice pile for splitting Zeke! Nice find....

These types of finds are usually really great. Glad for you that you got the wood.

Got another load today. This area was logged a year ago, two months split and laying in the sun and it'll burn great

Got another load today. This area was logged a year ago, two months split and laying in the sun and it'll burn great

Not in my house it wouldn't!!! That year since logging means practically nothing. Wood won't dry hardly at all until it is split and it takes much longer that 2 months. Also, the wind will do more than the sun to dry that wood.

Not in my house it wouldn't!!! That year since logging means practically nothing. Wood won't dry hardly at all until it is split and it takes much longer that 2 months. Also, the wind will do more than the sun to dry that wood.
Well, being as I cut it, split it and stacked it , I have a pretty good idea where it is in the seasoning process. ONE thing you are right about, "]Not in my house it wouldn't"

Nice find!

Nice place to get some quality wood.
Very nice score!
Got any pictures of the logging road & logger left overs? Trees in your area, the big limbs make good fire wood. Some of those rounds are bigger than the base of the birch trees here.
I did some of that in Oregon. You can get lots of good wood & have roads & trails to get close to the wood.
Logged areas make good deer hunting areas too.

As for burning well seasoned dry wood;
"You burn what you got, seasoned or not" ;)

Well, it's good to be you :)
Great score, get some more.

This area is Maple -Basswood-Birch forest . Lotta yellow Birch, which is great but seasons in 2 years, and Maple seems to be about 5-1 sugar to red. I try to get hard Maple or Ash. This is all on Iron County land, they sell bids on timber tracts for tax relief. Once the loggers are out, its open season on tops with a permit($5).Also I find something down after most good storms, and when the leaves go down.
I bought 9 cords off a logger last sept, cut -split-stacked it, and I sell 1/2 cord loads outta that. I cant afford to burn the pretty wood, so I burn tops. The big stuff is crotches, I get two or three 17" cuts on a crotch, split'em with my 22ton speeco. Three of those cut up and some 6" limbs is a load, dragging my hitch every bump coming out.
I have plenty of dry wood. I know what dry wood is. I know how to season wood, I've been doing this awhile. If I never picked or sold another stick, my wood supply will last longer than social security, it'll run dry in 2030 or so...

Nice find/scrounge/score for sure. I had friend/co-worker a few years back that had access to abot 80 aces of logged land. He and is brother cut in there for 3-4 years and both had quite a supply when they were through. Easy access with their pickups/atvs, nice oak, beech, and other hardwoods. I'm not sure how much they ended up with, but I bet it was dozens of face cords, enough for many years ahead.

Once the loggers are out, its open season on tops with a permit($5).

, my wood supply will last longer than social security, it'll run dry in 2030 or so...

Is that $5 per cord or $5 for the permit & get as much as you want?
Either way , a great price ;)

2030 :eek:
You & Backwoods Savage must be brothers. LOL :)

$5/ 10 cords, but nobody is counting. I have other sources of wood, I probably give away 5 cords/year of unstackables. The best is spring, no loggers,too wet, lotsa bigger stuff they lost in the snow. Early spring here. I would bring my truck loaded to work and coworkers would take trunkloads home for a few days, then another load. Not so much available down there...

There is a 60 acre tract of land that was logged last month about 7 miles from my house. I can see hundreds of cords of wood laying there from the road. The first time I see anybody there, I will stop and ask if I can take some.
May be awhile. If your county tax records are online, see if you can get a name and or phone number, or if just a name and adress use the internet to find a phone number and call.

Status
Not open for further replies.