Scrounging Etiqette??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbakerinc

Oct 19, 2015
Bedford PA
Ive been working hard around my house to scrounge some dead falls and standing dead trees.

My question is about what is the etiquette for scrounging out of the home range?

Does everyone just stop and ask the home owner if they see dead wood laying around?

Just a newbie scrounger looking for some advise

AGFP ~ Always Get Permission. ;)

I know, it ain't the easy way but it is the best way. The land owner may have already given the go-ahead to someone else. If he sees you taking "his" wood he won't be happy about it.

Reactions: barmstrong2
Ive been working hard around my house to scrounge some dead falls and standing dead trees.

My question is about what is the etiquette for scrounging out of the home range?

Does everyone just stop and ask the home owner if they see dead wood laying around?

Just a newbie scrounger looking for some advise

I just stop and knock on the door explaining I heat with firewood and ask if I can have the wood. I like to add that I heat with wood because I feel people are more likely to give it away if they know I'm not taking it and selling it.

All you have to do is ask the landowner. Worst he can say is no. Make your intentions clear, only you will be cutting, only deadfall or standing dead etc if he gives permission. Who knows, maybe you get lucky and find a guy that wants an area clear cut!

Definitely a thumbs up for asking. I built my house in a unfinished development near a recreation area, folks visiting the area frequently would drive around looking for firewood. I couldn't leave any wood piles within sight of the road or someone would try to pick it up.

Most of my scrounging is in neighborhoods. I go to the door and ask. Usually let them know I live in the area and am a wood heater.

I stop and ask people all the time... don't think I've ever been turned down. One lady had a bunch of down locust trees in her yard I asked about... she took my name and number and it was full year later she called me and said 'have at it!"

Reactions: baseroom
Always ask first. I stopped where the power company had dropped 5 good size oak trees, which I had been watching, and asked the lady who answered the door of I could clean them up. She gave me a suspicious look and asked "How much that gonna cost me?" So, I agree with adding that you're after the firewood up front. BTW, I took 4 out 5 pickup loads out of those oaks. It was a great score.

Reactions: iluvjazznjava
I'd look for people who are having trees cut, or people who seem to have a lot of fallen wood. Around here lots of people have some woods on their lot and also a lot of people seem to think that woods look best when "cleaned up." Find someone who is part of both groups and you've scored. Just keep asking around, ask your friends, people at work, etc. Scrounging seems impossible at first, and then you end up finding too much wood in too many places. I am sure there are tons of wood burners in Bedford, but there are lots of trees around too. Look for places with dying Ash and ask there. Lots of people hate to see dead standing trees on their property but also may want to burn oak only. We have wood snobbery here in PA.

Reactions: jbakerinc
ALWAYS ask 1st. If you do not get permission you could be arrested for stealing and trespassing.

I'd look for people who are having trees cut, or people who seem to have a lot of fallen wood. Around here lots of people have some woods on their lot and also a lot of people seem to think that woods look best when "cleaned up." Find someone who is part of both groups and you've scored. Just keep asking around, ask your friends, people at work, etc. Scrounging seems impossible at first, and then you end up finding too much wood in too many places. I am sure there are tons of wood burners in Bedford, but there are lots of trees around too. Look for places with dying Ash and ask there. Lots of people hate to see dead standing trees on their property but also may want to burn oak only. We have wood snobbery here in PA.

Oh yeah Bedford has its share of wood burners. I am in a good spot for scrounging for sure because I can do most of it around my house. I was just curious what everyone does. I am at the point this year because its my first year of burning Im just looking for anything dry at this point.

Always ask . . . worse thing that may happen is they say no since they're planning on using it themselves or giving it to a friend.

Not asking . . . worse thing that can happen is law enforcement is called out and you end up answering a lot of questions about why you were stealing wood on someone else's property.

The two Chinese guys I caught bucking up a big leaner on my place last week wished they would have asked. They got thrown off of the property with no wood, they lost the piece of equipment they had under the tree to hold it off the ground and they bucked half of a big oak I hadn't gotten around to yet.

As to law enforcement, the only time I have ever been read my rights was when I was picking up construction scraps at the curb in front of a house under construction one night and the off duty cop working security for the construction company pulled up and arrested me. A call to the building company got me released but that was a close call for a bunch of 2 X 4 cut-offs for the wood stove.

I have always asked, hearing the wood no a few times, but with a smile said thanks, I have also seen some signs warning people that this is there wood, not for taking.

I ALWAYS ask first. Better to be polite and meet new people than be rude and just take. Ive gotten referals to other wood this way as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.