Scrounging etiquette?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pmac

Dec 10, 2005
Eastern PA
So... I live in NE PA, and between Irene, the snowstorm, and word-of-mouth that I'm always on the lookout for wood, there are more opportunities here for scrounging that I know what to do with... but also raises some questions that I was wondering how other folks dealt with:

- Two different homes in the neighborhood, two trees come down, good-sized cherry and maple. Both owners ask me if I want the wood, but also ask if I'd cut up and dispose of all the brush. I could see it two ways - I should be happy to get nice wood, why not clean up brush... or the owner should be happy to get wood hauled away for nothing, he should clean up...?

- Roadside wood... some split and stacked, some downed trees just lying there, some on private property, some on what I presume is township or state land. How do folks handle these situations? In the case of public property, can one just "help himself"?

I've been burning in a stove now for about 10 years, and with all the "free" wood around lately, I've gotten almost obsessive about grabbing what I can... it's almost like a disease... and I'm running out of room in my yard :lol:

I don't scrounge much, but most of the times when I've taken free wood from someone I take the big, hard stuff and let them deal with the brush . . . around here that usually means a brush fire. The one time I did take the brush was for a friend . . . but in fairness he did me a huge favor by cutting down, bucking up and delivering a full load of black locust right to my house from where he worked . . . all he asked was for me to remove the brush if I could . . . seemed like a fair deal since I will just burn the brush myself at a later date.

Roadside wood . . . guess I would always ask . . . around here just taking wood -- whether on public or private property -- is frowned on . . .

I've had good luck knocking on doors to ask about downed trees.

As far as stuff roadside, my PERSONAL opinion is that if it's touching pavement it's fair game UNLESS it's quite obvious someone just bucked it for themselves. Some may disagree, though.

As far as cleaning up brush, I would. But you may not.

On public property, I feel like it's fair game. Just don't park where your blocking traffic or anything.

On private property, You're free to strike whatever deal you want with the land owner. Just make sure you do everything you agreed to plus a little bit more. So you don't give the rest of us a bad name. As for brush, I would agree to drag it over the hill or something if they have woods behind their house, but I wouldn't haul it off for them. That's just me. If it's some 80 year old person I would and clean the area up and haul the brush off but not some able bodied person.

firefighterjake said:
Roadside wood . . . guess I would always ask . . . around here just taking wood -- whether on public or private property -- is frowned on . . .

Yeah... let me clarify a bit... because I certainly wouldn't take something that was clearly set aside for others... for the last couple weeks I've been driving by a sizable stack of bucked wood on what is common property for a subdivision (I think it was a remnant of Irene). I wouldn't even know who to ask about that, doesn't seem to be going anywhere...

pmac said:
So... I live in NE PA, and between Irene, the snowstorm, and word-of-mouth that I'm always on the lookout for wood, there are more opportunities here for scrounging that I know what to do with... but also raises some questions that I was wondering how other folks dealt with:

- Two different homes in the neighborhood, two trees come down, good-sized cherry and maple. Both owners ask me if I want the wood, but also ask if I'd cut up and dispose of all the brush. I could see it two ways - I should be happy to get nice wood, why not clean up brush... or the owner should be happy to get wood hauled away for nothing, he should clean up...?

- Roadside wood... some split and stacked, some downed trees just lying there, some on private property, some on what I presume is township or state land. How do folks handle these situations? In the case of public property, can one just "help himself"?

I've been burning in a stove now for about 10 years, and with all the "free" wood around lately, I've gotten almost obsessive about grabbing what I can... it's almost like a disease... and I'm running out of room in my yard :lol:

As for cleaning up after getting the wood, I have always felt it good courtesy to do that. Sure, you've helped the owner out, but he has also helped you out. It really takes very little time to clean up brush. However, I probably would not clean up the sawdust.

Roadside wood. Most generally, a landowner owns to the center of the road. Yes, the county or state has the right-of-way but you are still the land owner. So if there is wood on the side of the road, I'd definitely want to know who owns the land before getting the wood.

As for public land, it all depends if you can help yourself or not. National land for sure I'd be cautious for sure. County of State can also be a bit shaky but in some areas it is considered okay to get that wood that is on public land....so long as it is just roadside.

As for your disease, do not look for a cure. Just keep on piling up the wood. You may find the time when you can't put up wood and then you'll have a good stash to fall back on.

pmac said:
firefighterjake said:

Yeah... let me clarify a bit... because I certainly wouldn't take something that was clearly set aside for others... for the last couple weeks I've been driving by a sizable stack of bucked wood on what is common property for a subdivision (I think it was a remnant of Irene). I wouldn't even know who to ask about that, doesn't seem to be going anywhere...

Go to the nearest house. At least that is what I would do.

In many areas of PA, I am in one, property lines go to the blacktop, or in some to the center of the road. Any road side wood is owned by someone. You would be taking someone else's property if you do not get permission. If it is a park, or in a state forest, you may need a permit.

Shawn

I didn't read the whole thread, but I'll weight in on my opinion

Hauling brush away... that depends really. That for your judgement. I won't haul brush away personally but that's because I have plenty of places I can go without having to haul it away. The most I will do is try to keep it consolidated to a few select piles for easier cleanup by the owner. And that's only if I truly desire the wood (hickory, BL, hedge, oak etc).

As far as wood that is questionable if it's available.
#1 I NEVER take cut up wood unless I know for certain it is available. In my neck of the woods if you get it cut up that you've laid claim to it whether you haul it away immediately or not. If anybody takes wood that has been cut up then it's considered theft and it WILL be dealt with.
#2 If the ownership is questionable then don't take it until you've asked around. Look for the nearest house, stop by and ask them about it. They should either know the status of the wood, or they likely know who owns the property so you can contact that person.

I will usually cut up the brush really small and drag it back into the woods. We don't have many neighborhoods around here so everyone has a wood line to drag stuff into.

I can’t agree with Dennis on this one. Arborist charge for hauling everything away, branches and the trunks. The fact that you are taking some of it away for free should be enough. If you want to haul the branches away for them for free that’s your business, but I sure wouldn’t do it on a regular basis. Just too much extra work. If they ask, just explain to them that it’s too much extra work and you are already taking the heavy stuff away for them for free, but you’ll also dispose of the branches for them for a modest fee (what ever that means to you). Some may kick you off their property, some might not want you to take anything, and some will likely be happy to pay you. In any case you won’t be doing a bunch of extra work for nuthin.
Around here the dump is only open once a week, if you fill your truck with anything to go to the dump it better be done on that one day or you’ll be driving around with it all week. Ask me how I know. Also there is the dump fee to pay. Now it's costing you?

I quickly learned to not promise to haul brush away no matter what the wood. A tree that can yield a truck load of wood can also yield 2-3 loads of brush unless you have a chipper. If you have a chipper you should be charging to run it. I will agree to throwing the brush on a pile but that's about it.

My neighbor took out two oaks, has propane stove, so I limbed
and bucked it... Took the rounds home, dragged the brush to
the roadside for the chippers. Raked a bit even. Got some good
oak out of it, wasn't much work. Would I take the brush home
with me? No. Owe the neighbor a bottle of wine or two and a
thank you note as well.

Reactions: mrd1995
I've got nowhere to haul brush to, so I never deal with that. Generally I'm getting wood after a tree service has already chipped the brush.

I have taken wood from public common areas in my neighborhood, but we're talking medians that don't touch private property. In some cases I'm grabbing it in-between Asplundh cutting it down and the county disposing of it. In others, it's wood that's been sitting there for months after a thunderstorm took it out and people stop and thank me for removing it. Basically around here I have very little competition for anything that requires cutting. But back in MI you'd best assume any wood you see is spoken for.

If it's not in National Forest (where I have a permit to cut) I would always ask the nearest landowner. To me not asking would be like stealing. As far as removing brush, I have never had this situation but I would just make sure that all terms of the deal were clear before any cutting was done. That way no misunderstandings and if they want you to do too much or will be a jerk you can just say thanks but no thanks.

I didn't know the rule about owning to the middle of the road, but I checked and it's that way here too. You learn something new every day!

No way let them keep it. like ya said they charge u to get rid of it. the only brush im hauling is for my two neighbors. who are elderly. luckily my uncle has property to dispose of it. waiting inline at the dump would take hours after this frekin storm.

No way let them keep it. like ya said they charge u to get rid of it. the only brush im hauling is for my two neighbors. who are elderly. luckily my uncle has property to dispose of it. waiting inline at the dump would take hours after this frekin storm.

pmac said:
So... I live in NE PA, and between Irene, the snowstorm, and word-of-mouth that I'm always on the lookout for wood, there are more opportunities here for scrounging that I know what to do with...

I think you just answered your own question about the brush. Why clean up brush when you dont have to?

After the storm blew thru, I called the town and asked if I could grab whatever they leave behind being they are doing all the cuttin' for storm clean up.....so if it's road side, I'll knock on the door of the nearest home to see if they have dibs on it....if not....cut'em up and load 'em (usually the town leaves 4ft. logs)....pretty much the same even without the storm, I always ask. I scouted some Ash at the bottom of a driveway....tree lying almost on the ground....about 3 feet in the air....perfect for cutting....gonna knock on the door tomorrow

pmac said:

1) I will neatly pile brush, but I will not haul it away. Remember, you're doing them a bigger favor hauling the wood away than they're doing for you.

2) Roadside wood in log/tree form is free game. Anything sawed up or split I'd leave alone.

Last summer a big oak came down in a high wind in the front of a neighbor down the road. I spotted it and called the lady and asked if she would like me to remove it. She said it was all mine but would like me to leave her a little bit of wood for her fireplace. She never burns since her husband died but wanted some "just in case." I bucked up the tree, split a little bit on site and through the splits into the back of my pickup and took them up to her house. About a dozen splits was all she wanted.

As for the brush, I dragged it over to her tree line and piled it up neatly. Got it out of view. I told her what I had done and said that it makes good "habitat" for the critters.
That was fine with her. I wasn't going to drag it home with me and, due to the drought, we've had a running burn ban all year so no brush fires. She appreciated me removed the down tree so much that she told me about a huge water oak that they had removed and pushed down into their creek bed. I used a chain to pull the pieces of trunk up to level ground and took home about a cord of great wood. Then she pointed out the biggest downed oak I've ever seen. Blown down in early spring. Water oak. My 16 inch bar isn't going to handle that huge trunk. Probably will have to invest in a 20 inch for my MS390. I've been putting that job off until it got cooler so that will be any time now. Probably enough wood in just the branches to get me through a whole winter. Probably close to two years worth in the trunk. Again, I'll be leaving the brush pile along her creek bed/tree line. It's way back in the back corner of her property anyway.

Another neighbor down the road knows I was looking for wood last winter. Now she has two dead medium size oaks in her horse pen/small pasture. During the summer I told her that I would wait until it cools down to get it. Now, however, I really don't want it. I have tons of down or standing dead trees available and I'm almost three years ahead with split wood. I can be more picky now. These smaller oaks (maybe ten inch diameter trunks) are more brush than good wood. Just not worth the trouble.
If I WAS going to do it, however, I'd leave all the brush neatly piled up and let them deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.