Scrounging Free Wood - Cheaper than a fitness membership??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlankBlankBlank

Minister of Fire
Oct 12, 2011
PA
I've realized that cutting, splitting, and stacking wood really encourages me to feel healthier. My job has me sitting at a desk or sitting in a car for most of my day. Dang-it-all, I sit too darn much! Now, processing wood makes me move around a bit. I'll get some heat out of it. I figure it will save me $200 a month on the gas bill and heat my home warmer than I could otherwise afford. And I save $100 bucks a month on the fitness membership, as well as, the hours upon boring hours of running in circles or staring at Fox news while rowing or peddling the time away. Wood gets me outside in the sunshine and breathing fresh air. Definitely cheaper than a fitness membership. Now, I must confess that I've got a few grand into this wood thing already this year alone. But I figure over the next 3-5 years I'll come out ahead. Definitely, cheaper than a fitness membership!!

What about you?

Sweaty gyms. Florescent lights. Stale recirculated air. Repetetive motion with no visible signs of accomplishment. Little imaginative challenge. Remote and distant concept of doing ones self and loved ones a good deed versus fresh air and sunshine, Physicaly and mentally callenging circumstances aerobic and anaerobic exercises that you can see immediate results with and still get the remote self benefit plus save the cash you would spend on the health spa and fossil fuels. I guess another set of questions would be "do you burn wood to live longer or do you live longer to burn wood?" Being your won boss has its merit too. But that's probably the addictive part. :lol:

If I Owen a gym everything would be hook to a gen-set. That way I could charge for membership and free electric. Thats called juiced from both sides, or win win. ;-P

No matter how many hours or dollars you spend at a gym, your home won't get warm from doing that.

Working outdoors is more fun for sure.
Cutting wood is good work out. I think you use more & different muscles. I know mine are always a little sore after a day of cutting.

Gark said:
No matter how many hours or dollars you spend at a gym, your home won't get warm from doing that.

+1 :) And if you work in "cube-land" in mtgs or in front of a computer all day like me it's great to get out and work outside.

Blue2ndaries said:
Gark said:

+1 :) And if you work in "cube-land" in mtgs or in front of a computer all day like me it's great to get out and work outside.

Better for the body; better, much better for the soul!

I agree that firewood cutting beats riding/walking/weightlifting in circles doing pretend work.

My challenge is that at what I consider the best time of the year for woodcutting is when the days get too short to work any length of time either side of the work day without adding light to the equation.

This evening I unloaded a trailer load of rounds in the dark and tomorrow morning I will start splitting them in the light from the truck headlights.

Now if I can figure out how to not let my increased appetite from the fresh air and exercise wipe out the benefits of the exercise.

lowroadacres said:
I agree that firewood cutting beats riding/walking/weightlifting in circles doing pretend work.

My challenge is that at what I consider the best time of the year for woodcutting is when the days get too short to work any length of time either side of the work day without adding light to the equation.

This evening I unloaded a trailer load of rounds in the dark and tomorrow morning I will start splitting them in the light from the truck headlights.

Now if I can figure out how to not let my increased appetite from the fresh air and exercise wipe out the benefits of the exercise.

It's called, "Your just desert," in philosophical parlance. For me, I'll be sure to enjoy a Great Lakes Brewing Edmond Fitzgerald and then a little later a bowl of Breyers chocolate ice cream with peanuts and Hershey's Dark Chocolate Syrup. After all, working so hard, I need the proper kinds of energy to repair the muscles that have been broken down from my intense exercise regiment.

WoodNStuff said:
It's called, "Your just desert," in philosophical parlance. For me, I'll be sure to enjoy a Great Lakes Brewing Edmond Fitzgerald and then a little later a bowl of Breyers chocolate ice cream with peanuts and Hershey's Dark Chocolate Syrup. After all, working so hard, I need the proper kinds of energy to repair the muscles that have been broken down from my intense exercise regiment.

Indeed! I actually lost 17lbs this summer between c/s/s wood and yardwork. May have been more if I didn't indulge in the Spaten Optimators... :)

Blue2ndaries said:
WoodNStuff said:

Indeed! I actually lost 17lbs this summer between c/s/s wood and yardwork. May have been more if I didn't indulge in the Spaten Optimators... :)

That's great! Me, I don't worry about weight, fat, etc. I'm turning 39 this year and have noticed a few changes. But I just figure that by staying very active physically, socially, and spiritually, I should be fine overall. Wood gives me all three: obviously wood c/s/s keeps me physically active. I also find that my wife and I talk a lot about wood and the various projects surrounding wood. Additionally, I find myself taking breaks during my c/s/s work. During these breaks I stretch out on a wood pile looking at the sky, trees, sun, etc., and I think about important stuff and also notice the moment. This is very spiritual.

Last winter an old friend from Florida joked, '2' of snow? Whats that?'
I told her it was a gym membership you didn't have to pay for.

Cut your own grass
Rake your own leaves
Wash your own car
Manage your own wood supply

Still working for my 77yr old father, a role model if ever there was one.

+ 1 million on the gym membership alternative...

Last weekend I...
... stacked about 1 cord that had fallen from my disaster of a homemade wood rack
... watched my neighbor out exercising his thoroughbreds
... met a family of pileated woodpeckers that live near my woodlot
... cleaned up the entire property of the downed trees from recent storms
... enjoyed a whole Fuente Aniversario without having to make small talk with anyone
... watched the sun rise sipping steaming coffee in the cold

Oh yeah... heated the house for all of next winter.

I just hit the big 50. I feel great. In addition to processing a ton of firewood, I also enjoy kayak fishing. I can do all day paddles and it's great fun. Good for me and I love bass fishing too. I also cut the grass once a week during the summer and my god that's a work out.

One way or another - I get my work out in.

basswidow said:
I just hit the big 50. I feel great. In addition to processing a ton of firewood, I also enjoy kayak fishing. I can do all day paddles and it's great fun. Good for me and I love bass fishing too. I also cut the grass once a week during the summer and my god that's a work out.

One way or another - I get my work out in.

Turning 49 in 2 weeks. Awesome on the kayak fishing. I was going to buy a sit on top a couple years ago, but the 50 yr old boiler needed replacing and........

WoodNStuff said:
I've realized that cutting, splitting, and stacking wood really encourages me to feel healthier. My job has me sitting at a desk or sitting in a car for most of my day. Dang-it-all, I sit too darn much! Now, processing wood makes me move around a bit. I'll get some heat out of it. I figure it will save me $200 a month on the gas bill and heat my home warmer than I could otherwise afford. And I save $100 bucks a month on the fitness membership, as well as, the hours upon boring hours of running in circles or staring at Fox news while rowing or peddling the time away. Wood gets me outside in the sunshine and breathing fresh air. Definitely cheaper than a fitness membership. Now, I must confess that I've got a few grand into this wood thing already this year alone. But I figure over the next 3-5 years I'll come out ahead. Definitely, cheaper than a fitness membership!!

What about you?

I don't know what a gym membership costs but I save about $200 per month using wood for part of my heat. I don't put any of the costs of wood scrounging into my calculation about how much I save. Those costs would go in the 'hobbies/recreation' category if I every actually had a budget. Or maybe like you're saying they should go in the 'therapy/ health care' column. Can I deduct a new chainsaw as a health care expense?

WoodNStuff said:

What about you?

It doesn't pencil out: I spend 1-1.5 hours at the gym 5 days per week, 52 weeks per year. I can split a cord in about that same amount of time - 1-1.5 hours. We'll say sawing and hauling take an hour each. Now add another hour just for the vagaries of wood cutting. That comes out to 4-5 hours per cord. So lets say working an hour at a time I cut, split, hall and stack 1 cord per week. Now I need to do that 51 more times. What am I going to do with 52 cord? Where am I going to get 52 cord? Plus wear and tear on my gear?

Also, what gym charges $100 per month? The most you can pay around here is $40 per month. . .

Bigg_Redd said:
WoodNStuff said:

What about you?

It doesn't pencil out: I spend 1-1.5 hours at the gym 5 days per week, 52 weeks per year. I can split a cord in about that same amount of time - 1-1.5 hours. We'll say sawing and hauling take an hour each. Now add another hour just for the vagaries of wood cutting. That comes out to 4-5 hours per cord. So lets say working an hour at a time I cut, split, hall and stack 1 cord per week. Now I need to do that 51 more times. What am I going to do with 52 cord? Where am I going to get 52 cord? Plus wear and tear on my gear?

Also, what gym charges $100 per month? The most you can pay around here is $40 per month. . .

Your job, I would be in the gym as well!

One more benefit for those of us w/young ones...it's a great time to work together, talk, have them learn the value of hard work, and reap some of the benefits of that labor. My 5year gets it...he said to me multiple times wen we were stacking together this summer "Dad, we are going to be so warm this winter." And now that we are burning, "wow Dad the fire is so nice and we don't have to work out in the rain to cut and stack wood now b/c we already did it!"

Priceless :)

Worked construction for 27 yrs now,in the woods part time for 31.Both cutting for my own use & the occasional cut-for -hire that brings in extra cash. It keeps me in shape during slow times and/or bad weather days with my regular job..Quit smoking 16 yrs ago,inspite of being older & the normal aches & pains you get after 40 I feel better now than I did at 35.Turned 48 two months ago.Never need to join a fitness club or use a treadmill I know that much.

Fod01 said:
Last winter an old friend from Florida joked, '2' of snow? Whats that?'
I told her it was a gym membership you didn't have to pay for.

Cut your own grass
Rake your own leaves
Wash your own car
Manage your own wood supply

Still working for my 77yr old father, a role model if ever there was one.

Yeah, we het about 4 months of that snow fitness membership you don't have to pay for around here in Wisconsin. And, no I don't own or use a snow blower. With all these gym memberships, when can I actually afford to go to a real gym?

Wood Duck said:
WoodNStuff said:

What about you?

I don't know what a gym membership costs but I save about $200 per month using wood for part of my heat. I don't put any of the costs of wood scrounging into my calculation about how much I save. Those costs would go in the 'hobbies/recreation' category if I every actually had a budget. Or maybe like you're saying they should go in the 'therapy/ health care' column. Can I deduct a new chainsaw as a health care expense?

I'd like to 2nd the " new chainsaw as a health care expense." LOL I love that!!

Bigg_Redd said:
WoodNStuff said:

What about you?

My wife goes to yoga. It cost me $99 a month. A family YMCA membership around here cost somewhere in that neck of the woods too. I get the kids hauling and stacking wood. They learn valuable life lessons and stop complaining when it's cold outside because they've helped to heat a comfortable home.

As for the cord issue, I work pretty fast and hard. No way can I cut, haul, split, haul and stack one cord in 4-5 hours. All in all, I suspect a cord takes nearer 8-10 hours. I put up nearly 7 cord last year for this winter. This year I'm putting up 10-12 cord for the next two winters. And will be attempting to stay 2 winters ahead avery year. The balance of my workouts come from re-roofing the house, residing, raking, new fence, chasing my kids around the park, etc.

As for your cord wood dilema, you could always sell the cord wood for profit. Then you could c/s/s all year. Or maybe just keep going to your gym. I say do what you like and what works for you. I used to go to yoga myself. Good exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.