scrounging just doesn't seem worth it anymore.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Capt said:
rdust said:
I've never bought log length but around here I think it can be had for 60 bucks a cord. At that price once scrounging gets tough I'll be buying logs.

If and when you find log length for that price, PLEASE let me know! I'd quit scrounging myself, too!

I second the motion!

From a guy with a bad back, I hear you. I just called a guy about an 8 cord load for &800;. Sounds good to me to get ahead. I will still scrounge when I can but not all the time.

fire_man said:
I got my free wood supply started by scrounging whatever I could, off neighbors, from the side of road, town woods, etc. but with all the painful humping and back breaking carrying (and wear on my truck) it just does not seem worth it when a grapple load gets delivered right to my door for $650. Humping even the small 12"" diameter stuff just 10 feet from the side of the road has more than once thrown out my back and sent me into pain orbit. How do you professional scroungers do it?? I know the herniated disks in my back don't help, but how do you justify all the extra work humping wood when it can be delivered fairly cheap? It just seems better to pick up the phone and place the order right to my lot. I just turned down 4 big oaks from a friend's house. One good thing about scrounging is you can be more selective in the type of wood. Oh well, I guess this 50 year old back has just caved in...

Purchasing your wood by the grapple load is a great way to go. If we did not have our own wood supply on our land I too would be having that big truck come in. Just thinking that I'd no longer have to mess with the limbing would mean a lot.

However, you still have to understand that it is not going to be easy. You still have to wrestle with the saw. You still have to split the wood. You still have to stack the wood, etc. All of that can be hard on one's whole body and the back always seems to suffer the worst. But all in all, it still would be easier than scrounging.

As for me, I too have a bad back. Fortunately it has gotten better over the years (rare) and I can still put up our wood supply. Even though I can still do it though, it takes me probably 5 times longer than it used to. But, not having to hold down a steady job gives me the time that is required. Beside that, I love the work (that helps a bunch) and it gives me the exercise I might not otherwise get during the cold months.

For what its worth, I don't have a lot of space so doing a grapple load would be tons of sawdust to clean up outta my yard, as it couldn't stay there.as far as scrounging goes ... unless its someone who already has it cut and bucked I don't even bother.. even then the are variables ... I know I could save more but its easier to find a tree guy and have them drop it off for 75-130 a cord all I have to do is split..... and once you go over 100 (125ish) you gotta start thinking about just going c/s/d because many times in the spring you can get 125-160......around here...
I burn 3.5-5 cords a year so spending 3-500 a year on heat is a lot better than using my oil furnace which at today prices is close to 750 for a tank full and I would be using 2-3 tanks (600-900 gallons) a year.....
It's whatever works

humpin iron said:
Pellets???

Lol be careful, saying that your in the wrong part of the forums lol!
I do have a pellet stove but don't really like em.... no thrill, find the best pellet for the best price and it over

iceman said:
For what its worth, I don't have a lot of space so doing a grapple load would be tons of sawdust to clean up outta my yard, as it couldn't stay there.as far as scrounging goes ... unless its someone who already has it cut and bucked I don't even bother.. even then the are variables ... I know I could save more but its easier to find a tree guy and have them drop it off for 75-130 a cord all I have to do is split..... and once you go over 100 (125ish) you gotta start thinking about just going c/s/d because many times in the spring you can get 125-160......around here...
I burn 3.5-5 cords a year so spending 3-500 a year on heat is a lot better than using my oil furnace which at today prices is close to 750 for a tank full and I would be using 2-3 tanks (600-900 gallons) a year.....
It's whatever works

Wow, it's amazing how the price drops for c/s/d just a few miles west from Boston . Last I checked it was around $300 a cord near Haverhill, MA.

fire_man said:
iceman said:
It's whatever works

Wow, it's amazing how the price drops for c/s/d just a few miles west from Boston . Last I checked it was around $300 a cord near Haverhhill, MA.

Check Craigslist, in woosta (lol) the prices are a little more expensive than is but yes the further you get away from Boston the cheaper the wood....those guys are charging "big dig" prices. Or they are trying to recoup some of the cost of it!

Backwoods Savage said:
However, you still have to understand that it is not going to be easy. You still have to wrestle with the saw. You still have to split the wood. You still have to stack the wood, etc. All of that can be hard on one's whole body and the back always seems to suffer the worst. But all in all, it still would be easier than scrounging.

I forgot how hard all that was, but my back didn't. It's tough breaking back into it at my age, even with the bought logs. Problem for me is the logs I had delivered were way short, so I'm paying more to cut my own than I'd have paid for c/s/d green hardwood.

One guy advertised a 6 x 12 x 4 trailer full of locust logs for $100. Well, the trailer was that size, but the load was more air than locust. I couldn't conceal my disappointment, and he even said he'd drop some off the price. I said not to worry about it, I'd let him make it up on the next load. He promised to bring a packed load of cherry, so paid him, he dropped it, and I guess that's all I'll see of him. It's been over a month and every time I called him all I got was a FAX tone.

I felt bad for the guy, he wasn't a pro at all, just clearing his land of some dead trees. The logs are pretty good size and I don't even know how he got them on there by himself, but he really shoulda called me back. I'll get maybe a cord when it's done, but this ol' boy's back in the game again.

Cord o locust logs for $100 isn't so bad.

SolarAndWood said:

Well, it ain't highway robbery, but I know at least three guys that will sell me locust for $150 c/s/d, and I don't own a splitter. I want to have fun cutting and all, but will somebody come split this crap for me. The idea is still to save a couple bucks, but I can make that extra $50 a lot easier flipping burgers in my spare time.

Maybe somebody can just let me come and buck their logs for them, that's the fun part.

I'd invite you over but most of the stuff I scrounge is already bucked. The random cutoff isn't the same.

iceman said:
fire_man said:
iceman said:
It's whatever works

Wow, it's amazing how the price drops for c/s/d just a few miles west from Boston . Last I checked it was around $300 a cord near Haverhhill, MA.

Check Craigslist, in woosta (lol) the prices are a little more expensive than is but yes the further you get away from Boston the cheaper the wood....those guys are charging "big dig" prices. Or they are trying to recoup some of the cost of it!

On Craigslist in RI, there are cords of green hardwood at 100-125 per cord. Today, I was delivered two cords of seasoned red oak, yes it is seasoned (check my pics on the woodshed) for $350. Not having the time or the equipment to scrounge, I am very happy to buy at that price. In my opinion, Craigslist is a godsend for woodburners. I have bought off of CL for the last three years, with good results.

how do you justify all the extra work humping wood when it can be delivered fairly cheap?

If I had the extra $650 to have wood delivered to me, then I wouldn't be scrounging.

mayhem said:
how do you justify all the extra work humping wood when it can be delivered fairly cheap?

If I had the extra $650 to have wood delivered to me, then I wouldn't be scrounging.

If I had the extra $2000 to have wood delivered to me, then I would spend it on something else. By the way, unless you are burning wet wood, you are likely going to have cash out for at least 2 years of wood at any given time. It costs me about $200 and a solid week full time every year to produce $2000 of delivered wood. That will be worth it to me until I can't do it any more.

When you live on an acreage you have to clean up trees now and then so might as well burn the wood, when I can not "hump" my wood any more I will have to move to town any way.

Hi -

My Grandma is 90. She's tough as Hickory, but age does take it's toll. We built her a ramp in the garage. She uses a 'red wagon' to bring the morning and evening loads of wood in the house.

My nephews cut, split, and stack the wood for her. I expect they're hauling off the ashes now as well.

As the nieghbors age I see more small tractors and othe mechanization. They still burn.

Hang in there and be careful with the back since the Boss only issues us ONE ; ) !!

Mike

Battenkiller said:
SolarAndWood said:

Well, it ain't highway robbery, but I know at least three guys that will sell me locust for $150 c/s/d, and I don't own a splitter. I want to have fun cutting and all, but will somebody come split this crap for me. The idea is still to save a couple bucks, but I can make that extra $50 a lot easier flipping burgers in my spare time.

Maybe somebody can just let me come and buck their logs for them, that's the fun part.

Geez I have been splitting black locust past couple days and just love how easy it is, typically only one wack per split :)

What do you use for a spliter?

@ $650 per log length you could be saving yourself $500+ per year by scrounging. I started with a $50 dollar poulan saw and a S10 size pickup, every year I have saved myself over $1k by gathering/scrounging, with that $ I have obtained a splitter, better/bigger saws, a trailer and winch and no longer toil with lugging all the free wood and my stove has paid for itself!
There is something to be said for the exercise, being outdoors, and the thrill of the chase but more than anything it is just plain practical.

$650 = several cords of log length and you still have to buck/split/stack

$100 = gas,chains,etc for several free cords + anything you want to buy wth the extra $550

Just my .02
Werm

SolarAndWood said:
It costs me about $200 and a solid week full time every year to produce $2000 of delivered wood.

My God! How much wood does that BKK eat? I thought they were s'posed to be real efficient and all that? Two grand would buy me over a dozen cord around here.

I'd gladly spend the time and effort.. you know, with all of my time that I have doing nothing LOL

Werm said:
@ $650 per log length you could be saving yourself $500+ per year by scrounging. I started with a $50 dollar poulan saw and a S10 size pickup, every year I have saved myself over $1k by gathering/scrounging, with that $ I have obtained a splitter, better/bigger saws, a trailer and winch and no longer toil with lugging all the free wood and my stove has paid for itself!
There is something to be said for the exercise, being outdoors, and the thrill of the chase but more than anything it is just plain practical.

$650 = several cords of log length and you still have to buck/split/stack

$100 = gas,chains,etc for several free cords + anything you want to buy wth the extra $550

Just my .02
Werm

It just comes down to what works for who ever... for me 650 would need to be 8 cords or more... but many people around here will bring you a gotta wood when u have cash in hand....AND the time is right friend of mine got almost 12 cord from a big logging company because he just asked ....the guy told him its .160 cord green he said he had 1200 but the time was slow and they were doing a big job clearing for some gigantic company coming in ... so the guy gave in to empty some of his inventory... lol
A lot of places with processors will drop the price because they are saving on time compared to the guy with the splitter but not always.

Status
Not open for further replies.