Scrounging sites, ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stockdoct

Oct 19, 2008
ilinois
For you scroungers out there, where do you like to look for free wood?

I've found that State Highway Rest Stops occasionally have professionally-cut tree limbs lying around, from where a tree overhung the drive through road or an exercise dog-walking path, sometimes they're even already bucked ......but left lying on the ground hoping for someone to take them.

I take them.

another good spot is where the town trucks drop off the yard debris - i found almost all my wood for this year that way - a little humility with the guys that work there and try to stay out of their way.

I scrounge wood anywhere I can. Craigs List, friends trees down, found a posting in the post office a few weeks ago that worked well. Plus you see people putting wood out at the curb occasionally. You need to be ready to act when it is there because if you hesitate guys like me will have it scooped up. The longer you do this the better you get and when people know you are looking for wood it comes along. Pass the word around.

Status
Not open for further replies.