Scrounging week

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

USMC80

Minister of Fire
Mar 27, 2013
New Jersey
Here is some pics of what I've managed over the last 10 days. Already have 2 cords split and stacked in the back yard and adding to it everyday.

driveway and yard being taken over

IMG_20130406_143954_283_zps722dbe73.jpg

Big guy, used logs to get from truck to splitter

IMG_20130406_140948_611_zps8f0f975e.jpg

Two truck loads from Saturday

IMG_20130406_131218_218_zps1b6aa213.jpg

IMG_20130406_100817_824_zps9a5bd6f2.jpg

Nice work USMC80, some nice size rounds, what type of wood is it?

Not sure TBH, still a noob at this stuff but the Craigslist ad said white Oak and Ash

Reactions: zap
Not sure TBH, still a noob at this stuff but the Craigslist ad said white Oak and Ash
We have some ash on our property (never cut much) not an oak on the property that I've seen, I did scrounge some white & red oak last fall but chit at identification of oak.

That's a lot of hard work there USMC, great job!

Thanks, no need for the gym. It really is a lot of work, but fun at the same time.

Rewarding & fun hard-work that pays you back, (tax free) $$ :)

Possibly ash ?

guy said it was ash, really hope so, was pretty light. Would like enough ash to get me through next winter

Could be cotton wood if it real light weight.
at least it's pretty dry :)
Bark looks a little to thick for ash.
Not sure if yo have cottonwood in your area.

not sure either, was light but still heavy enough that i couldn't get a couple of the bigger rounds into the truck by myself

Good stuff right there!! Are you finding this stuff pre-cut to length or are you cutting on your lunch break. Either way, good on you, but if you are cutting on your lunch break, "Super Kudos" that is some hoarder determination!!

Congratulations USMC, you will get some great heat from that ash.

White Ash. If it's kinda light already, split and stack now, and you'll have some great-burning stuff this fall. :cool:

Strange. I swear I've seen a very similar pic here...same blue truck parked it the same lot, but it was quite a few months ago. Not sure about the wood in the other pic.
Either that, or I have some kind of weird wood precognition... _g;lol

Nice work. Not sure of your plan......I'm looking at a lot of wood in the driveway.......is that where ya gonna stack it ???.....or moving it to the back yard ??

Good stuff right there!! Are you finding this stuff pre-cut to length or are you cutting on your lunch break. Either way, good on you, but if you are cutting on your lunch break, "Super Kudos" that is some hoarder determination!!

This wood I was fortunate enough to just have to drive out during lunch and load it, no cutting or splitting. Only have about 45 minutes so have to be quick lol

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Nice work. Not sure of your plan......I'm looking at a lot of wood in the driveway.......is that where ya gonna stack it ???.....or moving it to the back yard ??

Majority of it will be stacked in back yard, goal is to start getting a couple of years ahead as was suggested here. Will probably keep 2 cords stacked in front and also have a wood rack near the front door

White Ash. If it's kinda light already, split and stack now, and you'll have some great-burning stuff this fall. :cool:

Strange. I swear I've seen a very similar pic here...same blue truck parked it the same lot, but it was quite a few months ago. Not sure about the wood in the other pic.
Either that, or I have some kind of weird wood precognition... _g;lol

Awesome, ya will split this stuff tonight and get it all stacked. Use the ash next winter and let everything else dry out for another year

Status
Not open for further replies.