1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Scumbag neighbor stealing firewood...

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by jstellfox, Nov 30, 2010.

1. madrone

madrone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just South of Portland, OR
    Red squirrels probably make an easy target for predators.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. tcassavaugh

tcassavaugh Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    First, I'd make sure that he is taking something by using a game camera as someone suggested. Then, you might ask him about if he took any wood you might enlighten him that you caught him on such and such a day at such and such time (they have a date stamp) and see what his response is then. It might be a thing where he needs it, can't afford it or has no equipment to get some. you might offer a little or suggest going out and cutting some and splitting it 50-50 if he helps.

We don't know what may be motivating him so try and find that out. However he might just be a lazy scumbag and needs to have the stuffing knocked out of him and charges pressed for theft and spend a couple of months in the pokie as "bubbas" room mate.

jmho

cass
  3. Ryedale

Ryedale Member

Loc:
    Southwest Michigan
    This reminds me of my previous neighbor in our old house. They liked to have a backyard fire on occation. I would join them from time to time for a beer and a laugh or two. One day the young teen son asked if he could have a few pieces of my firewood for the fire. Yeah no problem. The next morning I saw about a half of a short cord missing. I laugh now, but it wasn't funny then.
  4. davmor

davmor Member

Loc:
    Northern Michigan
    I hate theives period. My neighbors at one time would joke that they would just come over and take some wood out of my shed when they needed it. I guess the dirty looks convinced them they better not.
  5. woodjack

woodjack Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Woodstock, NY
    Yell at him. Humans hate to be yelled at.
  6. karri0n

karri0n New Member

Loc:
    Eastern CT
    Are you referring to the guy that came running out of the woods in his underwear to tell you about the "chimney fire" When you were firing your kiln?
  7. santacruzbluz

santacruzbluz New Member

Loc:
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    Bingo. Why make an enemy, when you might easily make a friend? Simply asking him if you see him, "Hey. How are you guys set up on firewood? You OK?" could open a conversation that solves the problem without the need for surveillance equipment and all the rest.
  8. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    Maybe I'm becoming a pessimist as I get older, but even as a psychologist (if people can't change, then what's the point of my profession) I'm seeing that rehabilitation of adults is the exception, not the rule.