Scumbag neighbor stealing firewood...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ironpony said:
several tears back I had aproblem with someone knocking over my bird feeder
what I did was, got a pressure tank, filled it with red dye and pressurized to 100 psi
i then wired a micro switch the the bird feeder and a solenoid on the tank
installed a sprinkler head with a round pattern and hid it all
when they came back and knocked over my bird feeder the micro switch tripped,
spraying red dye in a roughly 8 foot circle covering whoever it was in red dye
never did find them, but it never happened again

Red squirrels probably make an easy target for predators.

First, I'd make sure that he is taking something by using a game camera as someone suggested. Then, you might ask him about if he took any wood you might enlighten him that you caught him on such and such a day at such and such time (they have a date stamp) and see what his response is then. It might be a thing where he needs it, can't afford it or has no equipment to get some. you might offer a little or suggest going out and cutting some and splitting it 50-50 if he helps.

We don't know what may be motivating him so try and find that out. However he might just be a lazy scumbag and needs to have the stuffing knocked out of him and charges pressed for theft and spend a couple of months in the pokie as "bubbas" room mate.

jmho

cass

tcassavaugh said:
First, I'd make sure that he is taking something by using a game camera as someone suggested. Then, you might ask him about if he took any wood you might enlighten him that you caught him on such and such a day at such and such time (they have a date stamp) and see what his response is then. It might be a thing where he needs it, can't afford it or has no equipment to get some. you might offer a little or suggest going out and cutting some and splitting it 50-50 if he helps.

We don't know what may be motivating him so try and find that out. However he might just be a lazy scumbag and needs to have the stuffing knocked out of him and charges pressed for theft and spend a couple of months in the pokie as "bubbas" room mate.

jmho

cass

This reminds me of my previous neighbor in our old house. They liked to have a backyard fire on occation. I would join them from time to time for a beer and a laugh or two. One day the young teen son asked if he could have a few pieces of my firewood for the fire. Yeah no problem. The next morning I saw about a half of a short cord missing. I laugh now, but it wasn't funny then.

I hate theives period. My neighbors at one time would joke that they would just come over and take some wood out of my shed when they needed it. I guess the dirty looks convinced them they better not.

Yell at him. Humans hate to be yelled at.

Adios Pantalones said:
This thread makes me appreciate my neighbors even more... except for that one guy out back...

Are you referring to the guy that came running out of the woods in his underwear to tell you about the "chimney fire" When you were firing your kiln?

Gary_602z said:
Maybe you could turn this into a opportunity and approach him saying " Hey I could use some help cutting wood, maybe you could help me out and I can give you some wood".

He may not be that bad of guy, just needs some direction in life.

Gary

Bingo. Why make an enemy, when you might easily make a friend? Simply asking him if you see him, "Hey. How are you guys set up on firewood? You OK?" could open a conversation that solves the problem without the need for surveillance equipment and all the rest.

santacruzbluz said:
Gary_602z said:
Maybe you could turn this into a opportunity and approach him saying " Hey I could use some help cutting wood, maybe you could help me out and I can give you some wood".

He may not be that bad of guy, just needs some direction in life.

Gary

Bingo. Why make an enemy, when you might easily make a friend? Simply asking him if you see him, "Hey. How are you guys set up on firewood? You OK?" could open a conversation that solves the problem without the need for surveillance equipment and all the rest.
Maybe I'm becoming a pessimist as I get older, but even as a psychologist (if people can't change, then what's the point of my profession) I'm seeing that rehabilitation of adults is the exception, not the rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.