Seal stove pipe with Hi temp tape?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mj5001

Oct 15, 2011
United States
Had a leak last night for the first time on my interior black stove pipe -- not good. So have been doing a bit of research and finding you can use a tape to seal the joint, but which tape?

I DO have double wall pipe -- wouldn't dream of putting a tape on single wall I would think.

Thanks so much for any answers -- need to do it today so hopefully a HD, Lowes etc can have a product?

AND -- it has to be black ! ?

I've used the aluminum high temp tape on my insert where the flex connects to the top if the stove. It is a couple layers thick and has held up just fine. I always buy it at plumbing supply house, it's used for taping gas vent pipe and ducting runs. It's not cheap though! Also beware there's a cheap low temp version that's not actually metal.

If you had a leak and never had problems before is the chimney or cap getting plugged affecting your draft? Usually don't need sealing at the joints from what I know.

If you have a visible leak in the double wall pipe then flue gasses are getting in between the layers for some reason. The outer layer of double wall isn't really intended to contain exhaust, it's more for heat shield / clearance, I believe. Others can sanity check this, but I'm not sure if taping the outside is going to address or hide a bigger / remaining problem, as Holiday eluded to. If it were me, I'd want to check the chimney cap and maybe run a brush down to make sure there are no issues before tackling the pipe.

I had to do an unusual installation which has been working but not as well as I'd like because I was forced to do a horizontal run about a foot above the stove outlet -- nothing I can do about that but I suspect it was the wet wood I was burning last night.

Found some silicone tape and just bought a pipe sleeve with a pipe clamp like screw tightener -- I'll put on the tape and then cover with sleeve just for cosmetice reasons.

Should work.

It sounds like you are trying to fix the symptoms instead of the actual problem. Can you describe the flue in detail?

How long is the horizontal run? Is it pitched uphill toward the chimney at least 1/4" per ft? How tall is the chimney to the cap from the tee after the horizontal run? If possible, a picture would help us see what you have setup much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.