Sealant for bluestone hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodsroad

Nov 7, 2006
SE PA
www.danzphoto.net
I'm thinking of spraying a coat of clear on the bluestone hearth I'm making, thinking it will make cleanup easier. What clear will hold up to the heat? I don't want to coat the stone until it looks like a gym floor, just enough to make cleaning up ashes a bit easier. Maybe just one coat. Water-based poly?

Thanks,

Dan

There is a masonry sealer available. I used it to seal our masonry chimney. Its some sort of masonry clear coat.. for brick, concrete, etc. It will form a barrier against water, but I don't know if it has a high heat rating.

Personally, I love the look of bluestone and wouldn't want to do anything that might alter it, but thats just me.

Are you trying to waterproof this hearth? I'm confused. Not sure about the commercial products, but there are certainly many out there. I'd leave it alone personally, but if you feel that it does need some protection, I would look for a natural oil. Bluestone is very durable and beautiful, easy enough to mop. Just my opinion.

-Kevin

Well, maybe that is the answer I am looking for: Do nothing.
That is always easier than anything else!

Thanks.

-Dan

If you do decide that you need to do something, try a local tile or stone shop. There are sealers that are made specifically for natural stone. I would think that one of these would help block any stains.

Yes, don't put any type of a coating on top. You will be sorry in the long run. It will eventually chip, wear, discolor, etc. What you need is a penetrating sealer designed for slate and natural stone. Lowe's has a good product line. Wipe it on, let it sit for a few minutes to get absorbed into the pores of the stone, wipe off the excess and your done. It's a below the surface sealer so it won't wear off. There are even products designed to enhance or bring out the natural colors and tones of the stone. Aqua Mix s"stone Enhancer" comes to mind. Google "Aqua Mix" and you will get an education. I believe Lowe's carries the product line. KD

Very good, I will look at those products and let you all know what I end up doing.
Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.