Sealant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

isuphipsi1052

Nov 15, 2006
Upstate NY - Near Rochester
When I was cleaning my chimney a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that the piece of sheet metal that holds the liner in place (i.e., covers the masonry chimney) was loose. In other words, there was a sealant that appeared orange in color between the sheet metal cover and the top of the masonry chimney. Any ideas what this sealant was? Or what could I use to reseal the sheet metal back to the top of the masonry chimney?

I used reagular clear silicone on mine

also i used Tap Cons to screw it down on four corners too

Sounds like it might have been some type of RTV silicone. Regular silicone will do. Be sure surfaces are clean and dry. Use a generous amount.

Thanks folks. I'll give it a try this upcoming Wednesday (weather here is supposed to be 65 and sunny)...

Status
Not open for further replies.