Sealed join INSIDE wall thimble?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EarthStove

Hearth Supporter
Jan 15, 2009
Northern MD
Does anyone know if I can have a sealed (high temp silicone) joint inside the wall thimble? 6" pipe is a bit too short and the 12" is too long. If I can slide a 45 partially inside with the 6" connected I think this would work for my applications. But I can't find any reference if this is OK. Not mentioned means it's OK? Dunno.

Ask yourself this question. If it leaks will I be able to see it and where will the exhaust gases go that are leaking?
Once a pressure connection like this starts to leak it could possibly erode the joint and leak more. How long before the wall catches fire and will you be able to see this happening. Just my opinion.
Ron

Reactions: bags
Got it to work without doing this. It didn't sit right with me either so I decided to figure something else out.

I wish Simpson would have made a stupid 8" pipe. That would have worked perfectly. :(

Reactions: railfanron
Got it to work without doing this. It didn't sit right with me either so I decided to figure something else out.

I wish Simpson would have made a stupid 8" pipe. That would have worked perfectly. :(
Did you notice railfanron's avatar photo of his stove on a raised hearth pad ? We have quite a few members who have done similar pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.