Sealing a flue collar question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jqgs214

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2006
Riverhead, NY
Is it necessary on all stoves that the flue collar has some kind of sealant? I know mine was installed dry but looks pretty tight.

Some may disagree with me here (I'm not sure), but if the gaps are small or essentially non-existent, all you really need is three sheet metal screws.

thanks, thats what I figured but I'll get a flashlight in there tonight and see how much light comes out the top.

Corie said:
Some may disagree with me here (I'm not sure), but if the gaps are small or essentially non-existent, all you really need is three sheet metal screws.

Good idea. When ya gonna start shipping those stoves with holes in the flue collar for da screws?

I know you're talking about an insert wxman but since you said all stoves I will add that apparently the double walled Simpson DVL stuff can't be attached to the flue collar. It just sets there. The holes in some stove's collars is for attaching single wall only?

If the gaps are fairly small creosote will clog it all up in no time :)

What if you can only get the front screw in to hold the collar? My stove is so tall, I can't get to the other holes to get screws in.

BrotherBart said:
Corie said:

Good idea. When ya gonna start shipping those stoves with holes in the flue collar for da screws?

Good one BB. Did you know it might require some engineering..

Did one know ther use to be a stove collar connector pipe tha reduced the crimping so that the rib would be inserted against the flue collar?

this is a problem with standard crimping being 1.5" and the flue collar stops being 1" one has those valleys between the crimping not making the best seal screws or no screws

What is so hard about cutting 1/2" off the crimped end to fit the connection right? I did a wood stove inspection yearerday, where the installer had a caulking gun with RTV tube in it

So I asked what he use it for? I knew thw answer but had to ask." I seal all my connector pipes using it"

Well checked my stove collar and the connector it almost bottomed out. Nice tight seal but one screw hole. Not the end of the world, works for me. Also, one complaint on the PE (yes it has a flaw) the baffle gasket is very tender. I lit only one short fire in this stove so far and when I removed the baffle the gasket tore in half. I put it back together that way (the pieces lined up nicely) but gonna have to replace that sucker pretty often I think.

The collar on our Castine is dry fit. No issues to report with it.

Good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.