Sealing applicance adapter that needs to be removed every year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angler2184

Dec 17, 2011
OCMD
Hello,
Looking for the best way to seal my appliance adapter to the stove. Problem is the stove is in a room where I have to remove it during the summer. Will i be able to remove the pipe if i put the high temp sealant on it? Thanks for your help

Seal the stove adapter with RTV silicone. It'll be tough to remove, so I'd suggest you think about leaving it in place & disconnecting your venting system where the next piece of venting connects to the adapter.

Reactions: Delta-T
Look for a quick disconnect unit a stove adapter needs to be sealed and that means sealant and screws. They are not meant to be removed.

Venting with internal high temperature silicone rubber seals can be easily removed if you need to remove the stove from the area. The vent that attaches to the adapter can usually be disconnected there.

You can also consider using high temperature metal flue tape in addition to the screws if your venting doesn't have the silicone rubber internal seals for the first joint after the adapter.

I only seal the outside, if it leaks you will smell smoke, mine never has.

Status
Not open for further replies.