sealing area where liner goes through block off plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmcfall

Feeling the Heat
Nov 28, 2005
I've installed a couple stoves so far and have had some trouble with each where the liner goes through the block off plate. In each case, I have had to adjust the stovepipe after the block off plates were installed in order to get the stove centered properly on the hearth. Consequently, I had to rotate the liner just a little and caused the stove cement to crack where it sealed the area between the liner and block off plate. Aside from getting things lined up just perfecting before the stove is connected, is there any sort of flexible hi-temp caulk/gasket that can be used to seal up the area where the liner goes through the block off plate so that fine adjustments can be made when performing the actual stove connection?

5/8" or 3/4" inch stove door gasket material works pretty well.

how do you adhere the gasket to the sheet metal?

BrotherBart said:

rmcfall said:
how do you adhere the gasket to the sheet metal?

BrotherBart said:

Gasket cement that comes in the gasket kit. The kits are on closeout at Lowes for four bucks.

ah-ha. That makes sense. Thanks for the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.