sealing damper holes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood burning cop

Nov 10, 2012
northern indiana
do you need to worry about sealing the stove pipe where the damper rod goes thru it, and if so what do you use? I know you want to seal the joints, but i have not seen anything on here about this issue. I guess the same question would apply when you are putting in a probe thermometer. thanks,

no one knows?

I dont know much about a damper, but for my probe, I just drilled a hole through my double wall and put in the probe. Others will chime in.....
What kind if damper did you add? Drill and add, or a pipe fitted?

My probe is not sealed ether just drilled and put it in the hole basically.

ok thanks, it is a dvl adapter that goes into the top of the stove and converts it to double wall pipe. i just know that you want everything to be sealed and i never heard anything about the damper. the one side with the spring and handle is sealed good, but there is a lot of play in the other side where the rod comes out. just wanted to be safe. my stove is suppose to get installed later next week. i ripped out an old fireplace and installed a new hearth and ceramic tile for the back wall. put in the free standing stove and just have to have someone who has more knowledge on the subject to put in the new chimney. pictures will follow at some point. been looking at this site for awhile and there is a lot of nice people on here and they have a lot to teach on the subject of wood buring.

The draft up your chimney creates negative pressure, enough to pull air in thru gaps like you mentioned.
Especially with double wall, it improves draft.
A neat trick I learned here is to burn a piece of paper when you shovel your ashes and most lose stuff gets vacuumed up the chimney.

Edit: I posted to say I have the 8679 adapter/damper in a rear outlet fisherr stove,
I'm using a single wall t to make 90° and if I notch the t it slides over the damper rod and seals it

Status
Not open for further replies.