Sealing Excel pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pellet0708

Jul 18, 2008
Maine
Any comments about how I sealed my pipe? We had some smoke leakage out of the appliance adapter after initial install.
We had a small bead of sealant so went back and loaded it up with more and that took care of it. While I was at it I sealed the gap between the outer wall and inner pipe that is down by the adapter.

Someone made a comment that this needed to be open for air exchange but this pipe is not like the Selkirk where it is the fresh air space. I thought it was just double walled for cooling value. Only reason I put the sealant on was in case of internal joint leak. Figured it couldn't hurt.

I sealed mine all up too.Most houses dont really need outside air and why let that tiny gap let in the cold. That pipe is fantastic and easy to clean since it comes apart so easily:)

When I installed my DuraVent appliance adapter on my stove, all I did was to put a piece of rope gasket into the gap between the outer and inner pipe down about 1/2 ", coated the rope with a bead of sealant, and pushed the adapter down as far as it would go onto the stove outlet. Drilled (3) 1/8" equally spaced holes through both pipes, and put sheet metal screws through to hold in place. Finished the rest of the pipe install, fired the stove up....no leaks.

I know I have a different brand of pipe than you, but I can't imagine that their that different.

Hi -

I just posted this question as a new thread, but since you are using Excel products too maybe you can answer my question: We’re installing a Lopi Leyden Pellet Stove today, and we are planning on using selkirk metalbestos 4” pipe with an Excel insulated wall thimble. In the interest of not burning down our house, what do you think about mixing and matching brands here? Everything seems to fit ok, its just that the selkirk thimble is not insulated and of course each manufacturer says to only use their products exclusively. What do you think?

I would say as long as they fit together you are fine esp. since it is just the thimble. There is a lot of insulation in the excel thimble. It is when you try to mix and match the actual piping the fit might be off and cause problems.
That's nice pipe you bought just a little more $ than we wanted to go.

Hi temp silicone at the joints inside the house takes care of any leakage. Once that cures I cover the joints with aluminum duct tape. No...not the duct tape that gets sticky and slimy with heat. The REAL duct tape that is actually a metal tape with an adhesive side, peel the paper backing off of one side and wrap the joints. It's probably overkill but its a real tight install and I never worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.