sealing insulated T and thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blel

Feeling the Heat
Jun 6, 2008
Southeast CT
What is commonly used to seal joint where class A "T" goes thru outside of thimble? The manual doesn't mention anything about sealing this.

I just installed mine today. I sealed it with high-temp silicone.
I doubt high-temp is necessary. I'm burning at 500 deg. right now and the class A is barely even warm.

Thanks Brian. Any ideas on how to apply the sealant if the wall support kit is mounted upside down. I was going to put it upside down so it would be less of a footprint on the wall. Selkirk said it's ok to mount that way but didn't say anything about sealing it. I might be able to do it from the inside.

Install the wall support higher up the wall ?

Yeah, you basically turn it upside down. The triangular side pieces are pointing up instead of down.

I know how you're using the support. lol
I was suggesting that you install it higher above the tee so you have access for your caulking gun.

I see what you mean. For all the trouble, it's probably just as easy to mount it the normal way.

Status
Not open for further replies.