sealing limestone hearth tile (travertine)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beefstew

Oct 24, 2014
MN
I'm almost done with a hearth/pad/wall shield I'm building for a small woodstove. Floor for the hearth area is 12x12 "Travertine" (Limestone) tile from Menards. I just finished grouting tonight and have been trying to figure out if I should seal the grout or tile.

I don't know the specific chemistry, but I assume most sealers work by producing some kind of oil/plastic/wax coating. If a coal falls out of the stove door while loading, having an oil/plastic covered surface for the coal to fall onto seems like a bad idea.

Have any of you been down this road of unlikely worry before? Is there a good solution? Right now I'm leaning towards leaving the floor unfinished and just embracing the "aging" of the floor.

Also, the next-summer plan for the wall/heat shield is to build out a 4" block wall of limestone from up the valley. Not sure how to split the stone by hand, so if you have any suggestions...

IMG_1122.JPG

Silicone is a neutral and common tile sealer.

Have similar tile in our bath. Definitely seal it, it'll take several applications and need to be re done yearly (depending on traffic).
It's a very soft stone full of small holes and will be a totally different color in a year if you don't get something on it.
I wouldn't worry about a sealer making the stone flammable, a little bit goes a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.