Sealing liner and appliance connector

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kruger

Oct 14, 2008
SE Wyoming
I am installing my Osburn 2400 insert this weekend. Do I need to seal the appliance connector to the liner other than with ss screws? Do I need to attach the appliance connector to the insert or does it just sit down in the flange? I've seen guys seal the liner to the connector with Rutland furnace cement...is that the right move? I've watch plenty of install videos and read til i'm blue in the face, but haven't seen much on sealing or attaching to the actually stove collar. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, where do I find Roxul? Lowes doesn't carry it instore.

Thanks,
Aaron

WYO said:
I am installing my Osburn 2400 insert this weekend. Do I need to seal the appliance connector to the liner other than with ss screws? Do I need to attach the appliance connector to the insert or does it just sit down in the flange? I've seen guys seal the liner to the connector with Rutland furnace cement...is that the right move? I've watch plenty of install videos and read til i'm blue in the face, but haven't seen much on sealing or attaching to the actually stove collar. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron

I'll be following this because my liner is getting installed sometime in the several days. I have four more windows to strip and repaint but once that's done I get to go back to the insert install.

As for the Roxul, I had to order it online delivered to my local Lowes. That reminds me, it's supposed to be in and I need to go pick it up!.

steve

The Osburn 2400 should come with hardware and instructions of how to connect liner and or appliance connector to unit. Follow those instructions using the hardware provided (mine came with 3 brackets and self-tek drilling screws). I used my own longer teks to connect the liner to the appliance connector. Once all connections are made, generously seal around the appliance connector where it meets the unit with furnace cement.

You can tell Lowes to order it for you. Or, you could visit a local HVAC store and purchase Kaowool.

Put a bead of furnace cement inside the stove collar before you insert the connector. Keeps any cooler air from entering the the exhaust stream going up the liner and making our old friend creosote. You want every ounce of air that goes up that pipe to have to pass through the stove first.

Will it work without it. Sure. But why would ya want it to?

The screws are for a different purpose. One huge "woof" in a load on top of hot coals that takes a while to ignite and that makes that liner stretch will tell ya why you put them there. You will just sit back and say "No problem. I know that liner is still connected to the stove.".

BrotherBart said:
Put a bead of furnace cement inside the stove collar before you insert the connector. Keeps any cooler air from entering the the exhaust stream going up the liner and making our old friend creosote. You want every ounce of air that goes up that pipe to have to pass through the stove first.

The screws are for a different purpose. One huge "woof" in a load on top of hot coals that takes a while to ignite and that makes that liner stretch will tell ya why you put them there. You will just sit back and say "No problem. I know that liner is still connected to the stove.".

Thanks for the recommendation on the cement...will do. On the second recommendation, are you saying YES on the screws?

WYO said:
BrotherBart said:

Thanks for the recommendation on the cement...will do. On the second recommendation, are you saying YES on the screws?

Always. I think a prior post said that the stove comes with "L" brackets to secure the liner. Those would do it just fine. If not, put those screws in the stove collar.

Personally if the stove top isn't drilled for the brackets I would pass on them and drill the stove collar for screws rather than drill holes into the top of the firebox. I am not a fan of giving a firebox a place to crack. Ever.

BB, I didn't put a bead of furnace cement inside the stove collar. I just screwed the brackets in an generously sealed the connector to unit. Is that okay?

Stax said:
BB, I didn't put a bead of furnace cement inside the stove collar. I just screwed the brackets in an generously sealed the connector to unit. Is that okay?

Messy, but it will be fine.

Stax said:
Guessing you peeked at my install?

Nope. Just know what furnace cement looks like on a pipe joint. If your are installing where it ain't gonna be seen, it does not make one damn. Just so it doesn't leak. My recent pipe install for the pellet puppy in the basement is butt ugly because of the metal HVAC tape at every pipe joint. Who cares? It is the basement, not the living room, and that pipe ain't gonna leak lately.

WYO said:

Thanks,
Aaron

I just ordered some from this place, they sell it in a single piece 2' x 4'
http://www.atsacoustics.com/item--Roxul-AFB-Mineral-Wool-2-inch-Single-Pieces--1003.html

My instructions didn't say anything but i put a bead of furnace cement around the gap at the flue connection and ran my finger around it to make it look nice.

0013.jpg

mhrischuk said:
My instructions didn't say anything but i put a bead of furnace cement around the gap at the flue connection and ran my finger around it to make it look nice.

Awesome. This was the original picture that got me thinking I needed a bead of cement at the seems. Does that stuff dry hard or soft? Cure time before a guys fires his stove for the first time?

Status
Not open for further replies.