sealing liner at top plate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OhioBurner©

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2010
Center of Ohio
Ok liner install is done (well actually its been a week or two ago). I've sealed up the old cleanout below. I sealed around the thimble by packing some rockwool around it (6" pipe in 8" thimble). The top plate remains and I'm not sure how to approach it.

The liner passes up through a short stub attached to the top plate, about an inch bigger around. So there is a gap between the two. However since the liner is held in place by a clamp tethered to one side this gap isnt equal all the way around, its pretty much touching the inner wall near the clamp.

liner3_800.jpg

And the joint between the stub and top plate isnt sealed either. On my other chimney with a duraliner there is a skirt of sorts over this but I guess this cheaper flex liner kit isnt that fancy. Can I use silicone? I feared it would get to hot right next to the liner but I went up there yesterday when the stove was ~500 and it was only showing a surface temp of 100.

top1_800.jpg

Its small but then there is the hole that the clamp passes through, not sure if its even possible to seal that one.

hmmmm, not sure what to say about that....My top plate is quite tight to my liner so much that I had to screw it onto the liner. Mine also does not have such a tall neck, if you will. My neck is about 1" and then my cap fits over the neck. The breeze clamps are on cap which holds tight to the neck and liner..... Not sure what to do permanantly on that! Mine is below:

The other collar is for connecting the liner to the stove.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-x-25-SIMP...318?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f09b331ee

Get some stove rope gasket and wrap it around a couple times.

X2 the rope gasket, and you can use it as a backer for the silicone. You can also install a storm collar like the Duravent system has.
The silicone will be fine as far as temps go. You can put silicone over the clamp hole also.
Are you cutting the liner down to closer to the top plate? Are you using a cap?

Hogwildz said:
Are you cutting the liner down to closer to the top plate? Are you using a cap?
Yeah I cut it down and am using a rain cap. I'll post the pic below.

Thanks for the ideas the rope gasket & silicone sound like the ticket then.

top2_800.jpg

Looks good, that should do ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.