Sealing my t-kit to my thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chance04

Burning Hunk
Nov 22, 2014
Eastern Shore MD
I got around to installing my flex liner t kit this weekend and i want to seal up the gap where the stainless tee comes through the thimble. I was curious, should I be using high temp silicone or the Rutland mortar cement in the caulk tubes to finish off the seal? Seems that most high temp silicone are 600 degree tops. Will that be sufficient?

No, silicone will not hold up to these temps. Furnace cement will but it will also crack and fall out. I would use ceramic wool, you can pull some off of your left over insulation blanket.

Reactions: chance04
My clay liner wouldn't allow a blanket so I'm using a pourable insulation. But I do have some header wrap in the shop that you reminded me of. I'm certain it will withstand the temps

My clay liner wouldn't allow a blanket so I'm using a pourable insulation. But I do have some header wrap in the shop that you reminded me of. I'm certain it will withstand the temps
There you go!
Does the chimney have a clean out below the thimble?

There you go!
Does the chimney have a clean out below the thimble?
It does but I capped the bottom of the tee because I didn't want to pull the whole mess back out and try and attach an extension pipe to run down to the clean out door. My plans are to ash vac from the thimble connection as I sweep. I'm sure I'll have to modify my procedure to minimize mess and keep the wife happy

It does but I capped the bottom of the tee because I didn't want to pull the whole mess back out and try and attach an extension pipe to run down to the clean out door. My plans are to ash vac from the thimble connection as I sweep. I'm sure I'll have to modify my procedure to minimize mess and keep the wife happy
That's a good plan.
I was asking because you will need to block it off somehow before you pour your insulation. If there is even a tiny gap, insulation will rain out for years to come. Seal it all up tight!

That's a good plan.
I was asking because you will need to block it off somehow before you pour your insulation. If there is even a tiny gap, insulation will rain out for years to come. Seal it all up tight!
I'm really kinda scared of that lol. I've never used the pourable and I don't want to miss anything and discover a "leak" half way through

I'm really kinda scared of that lol. I've never used the pourable and I don't want to miss anything and discover a "leak" half way through
Ohh, you won't make it half way through before you find out!;lol

At the top of my masonry chimney I'm preparing to purchase an anchor plate and install 3-4ft of class a pipe to assist in my draft. Is there a better brand of class a pipe? Duravent vs metalbestos vs ...............
Can anyone offer insight?

At the top of my masonry chimney I'm preparing to purchase an anchor plate and install 3-4ft of class a pipe to assist in my draft. Is there a better brand of class a pipe? Duravent vs metalbestos vs ...............
Can anyone offer insight?
All are good. Just make sure its double wall class A with solid pack insulation, not air cooled.

Status
Not open for further replies.