sealing smoke pipe joints

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mark123

Jan 27, 2009
PEI, Canada
I have a wood gun and used high temp silicone to seal all smoke pipe joints, it worked great for a while but parts have burnt off and smoke leaks out of the smallest of gaps. What other methods can be used with higher temp. ratings. I was thinking of using stove cement (sodium silicate , waterglass) and then wrapping with fiberglass exaust wrap while it is still wet.

Shouldn't your stack be negative?? I don't know squat about wood guns, but a fair amount about chimneys.

The wood gun as with most and I assume most gasifiers have positive pressure exhaust because of the fan that brings in combustion air.

I'm surprised that the high temp silicone did not work for you. What temp is it rated to? My stack temps never get above 450 when burning wood and usually hover around 375 to 400, they will get above 500 when oil is fired up.

Being new to induced draft I installed my pipe without any sealant ant it leaked like a sive, so I put foil tape around the joints. It works so -so. Sometime I will disasimble and use high temp sealent.

I used some type of silicone tape that I had around. I believe that it may be for underground splicing of elec wires. I could not get it to burn with a propane torch and it should be a heck of a lot easer to disasemble /re asemble for cleaning. It does not have an adheasive, you just stretch it around and it sticks to itself somewhat. I put a large hose clamp on it to keep it tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.