Sealing stove pipe at stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

remkel

Minister of Fire
Jan 21, 2010
Southwest NH
I have a bit of an odd section-

I have an old VC Vigilant with an oval 8" exhaust. My pipe is round at the thimble and has been bent to fit into the oval at the stove, however, it does not fit tightly leaving plenty of room for air to get in. I remedy this situation by using Rutland Cement to seal the gaps at the connection.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for an alternative to seal these gaps. It is a bit messy and I would appreciate any suggestions people might have.

Buy an actual oval to round piece and it might fit better. Just a thought.

flhpi said:
Buy an actual oval to round piece and it might fit better. Just a thought.

The install was done by a local shop....I actually think it is an oval to round now that you mention it- too uniform to have been formed by hand. I will look into it further though. THanks

Furnace cement should work nicely for that and I have always used it. As far as messy, a wet cloth wipes up any mess really easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.