1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Sealing up basement walls with DRYLOC

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Seasoned Oak, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    I already got a can of DRYLOC so im going to try it and see what happens. As i said im only trying to direct the water away from the surface of the wall down to the french drain on the perimeter of the basement. Ill post the results.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    You have poured walls in a house that old? That's fancy.
  3. Seasoned Oak

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Its kind of a cinder/cement mixture they used to us cinders from coal fires mixed with cement. pretty pourous.
  4. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    Yeah, I kinda figured that's what it was, but still, back then a LOT of basements used cinder blocks because by the time you got everything setup for the pouring and got the equipment there to do the pouring, it was a HUGE task. Much easier to deliver the blocks and do it bit by bit.
  5. Seasoned Oak

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    They probably mixed the stuff by hand.
  6. Blue Vomit

Blue Vomit Minister of Fire

Loc:
    eastern PA
    Make sure you are well ventilated and pay attention to the warnings on that dryloc container. Wear a mask, that stuff is NASTY! I did my basement walls a few years ago. My lungs were burnin!
  7. bjkjoseph

bjkjoseph Member

Loc:
    long island
    also with ventilation you must not have any open flame ...water heater....or oil burner....a couple of years ago a father and his son coated the basement walls with that stuff...water heater kicked on.........both dead....true story.
  8. vinny11950

vinny11950 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Long Island, NY
    Was just at a friend's house. Finished basement, real nice, recessed lighting, new kitchen appliances. Any who, one corner of the poured concrete wall leaks water when it rains really heavy. Outside that is a pressure point for water as his neighbors backyard and his own backyard slope down to that point. He has a pump in that corner too, but it does not help much.

He just painted that corner with a sealer. He could not remember which one. Looks nice and solid. But it was leaking again in one spot. He says it probably is a crack he did not seal properly.