1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

sealing vent pipe

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by gog222, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richg

richg Minister of Fire

Uh, I have been burning pellets for eight years now, have done three installs and all of the pipe came from hearth shops. Three separate shops, in fact. I wish I had taken a picture of one piece...they tried to put RTV on an inside seam, but missed....by an INCH! Guess an OJ simpson worker had a few too many at lunch. Another one had a rivet that you could see light coming through. It blows my mind that we can seal pressurized gas lines well enough that they don't leak, but simpson can't make pellet pipe that handles the relatively low pressure of a pellet exhaust. Oh yeah, the guy that told me that simpson is crap is the biggest hearth shop in Maryland. He stopped selling it because it was causing too much trouble for his installers and customers.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bostonbaked

bostonbaked Member

Loc:
    south shore
    [
    Uh, I have been burning pellets for eight years now, have done three installs and all of the pipe came from hearth shops. Three separate shops, in fact. I wish I had taken a picture of one piece...they tried to put RTV on an inside seam, but missed....by an INCH! Guess an OJ s worker had a few too many at lunch. Another one had a rivet that you could see light coming through. It blows my mind that we can seal pressurized gas lines well enough that they don't leak, but s can't make pellet pipe that handles the relatively low pressure of a pellet exhaust. Oh yeah, the guy that told me that s is crap is the biggest hearth shop in Maryland. He stopped selling it because it was causing too much trouble for his installers and customers.[/quote] I'll say it again, slowly, for you. Dura Vent (Pellet Vent) old version ( maybe sucks) I don't know, I did not buy it because it looked cheaply made. They sell it at the box stores. It is as you describe. Pellet Vent Pro in my (personal opinion) DOES NOT SUCK ! It's a totally different product. Laser welded seams not overlapped and riveted. You are insulting everyone here who uses that pipe me included. And I repeat your no expert. If you want a pissing contest call Dura Vent and take it up with them. Your trolling and I'm done playing. I DON"T MAKE THE PIPE. I REPORTED WHAT THE PEOPLE WHO DO MAKE THE PIPE SAID. SO GO AWAY BTW In my area the dealers all sell Pellet Vent (PRO) at least the six or so places I visited. You went cheap, and your taking a dump on the people who didn't. Grow up it's not the end of the world. Go get some good pipe and you won't need to encapsulate your vent in a quarter inch of sealant.
  3. Chinkowski

Chinkowski Member

Loc:
    Binghamton, NY
    the simpson dura vent that i purchased was the pellet vent kit that was sold with the stove. i dont beleive it is the pro version. the problem i have with this whole thing is first of all its not cheap. $250 for leaky pipe is bogus. if simpson puts their name on something they should stand behind it. if its that shitty then why the hell are they selling it?? just sell the good stuff and charge even more. the only reason i know they make better stuff is this web site / forum. i'm sure the majority of people that are buying stoves these days have no clue what good / bad pipe is or this place exists. i'm p/o'ed that i have the crappy pipe but i'll make it work. i think simpson is hurting their reputation by selling junk. i would not buy their stuff again.
  4. bostonbaked

bostonbaked Member

Loc:
    south shore
    Hey, I hear what your saying. Far be it from me to be defending them. I found out about the Pro pipe at the dealers I visited. They said "The stuff we sell is way better than the stuff at Home Depot". I figured they were playing the sales game. So I looked at both and saw a big difference in the two. I bought it online because it was less than the dealers wanted and no sales tax. I would bring it back if I were you. Get the better pipe or something else altogether if your that pissed. I would be pissed too. If they have tons of this pipe still around I guess they will keep selling it till they start getting it back. I guess the lesson is always do your homework first and buy later. You have a right to feel let down.
  5. Chinkowski

Chinkowski Member

Loc:
    Binghamton, NY
    i'm pissed but not enough to rip the whole thing out. the pissy part is its expensive. if it was relatively cheap i'd have nothing to groan about, but it isnt. if i wouldnt have been doing some research about stoves i would have never of found this place. i really didnt think that much about the vent pipe. anyway, lesson learned, i hope other people figure it out so they dont end up in the same dilema.
  6. richg

richg Minister of Fire

I'll say it again, slowly, for you. Dura Vent (Pellet Vent) old version ( maybe sucks) I don't know, I did not buy it because it looked cheaply made. They sell it at the box stores. It is as you describe. Pellet Vent Pro in my (personal opinion) DOES NOT SUCK ! It's a totally different product. Laser welded seams not overlapped and riveted. You are insulting everyone here who uses that pipe me included. And I repeat your no expert. If you want a pissing contest call Dura Vent and take it up with them. Your trolling and I'm done playing. I DON"T MAKE THE PIPE. I REPORTED WHAT THE PEOPLE WHO DO MAKE THE PIPE SAID. SO GO AWAY BTW In my area the dealers all sell Pellet Vent (PRO) at least the six or so places I visited. You went cheap, and your taking a dump on the people who didn't. Grow up it's not the end of the world. Go get some good pipe and you won't need to encapsulate your vent in a quarter inch of sealant.[/quote]

Try Sanka pal. You show up here no more than three months ago and are talking smack, and I've been on this board and its predecessor for close to seven years. There was no such thing as Pro vent when I bought the stuff, and the only reason simpson came out with it is they were going to get their heads handed to them by competitors. You are the one who can take a hike, sweetie pie johnny come lately. And by the way, Einstein, please learn proper English. "your no expert" and "your" trolling....try "you're" or "you are".
  7. Alan

Alan Member

Loc:
    Northern California
    I found this:
    http://www.rescuetape.com/home.html
    I think this may be the same stuff. According to the web site, it's available in black. ACE & True Value are indicated as dealers, but I've not checked their web site or my local stores.
  8. staplebox

staplebox Member

Loc:
    Eastern CT
    I found this:
    http://www.rescuetape.com/home.html
    I think this may be the same stuff. According to the web site, it's available in black. ACE & True Value are indicated as dealers, but I've not checked their web site or my local stores.[/quote]

Yup. The packaging and colors are different but the roll of tape looks right. It's really great stuff; hasn't budged since I put in on.
  9. Alan

Alan Member

Loc:
    Northern California

Yup. The packaging and colors are different but the roll of tape looks right. It's really great stuff; hasn't budged since I put in on.[/quote]

It's hard to believe that a 1" wide tape that is only 0.02" thick & doesn't stick to the pipe itself, but rather relies on self-sealing by lapping one layer on top of another can seal that well! I guess it must rely on "stretching" the tape, particularly on the first & last couple of wraps around the pipe to create a good enought seal to keep the smoke from leaking out.

I wonder if it meets code...?
  10. slls

slls Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central maine Lat 45
    This came with my vent kit. I did not seal my inner pipe, first pipe to stove adapter and it leaked.[​IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.