Sealing warm air vents

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

denbe47

Hearth Supporter
Jul 6, 2008
Northern California
I have a 1970's vintage built in steel fireplace insert encased in brick. It is double wall construction in back and three approximately 4" tubes that run from the back, through the chimney area (just below the damper) and exhaust into the room above the firebox. We are remodeling and would like to close up the large exhaust vent by bricking over it. Can this be safely done, or will the air in the tubes get hot enough to cause problems. If so, could holes be drilled in the tops of the tubes to let the heat enter the chimney? We do not use this fireplace for heat, just for looks, 3 or 4 times a year, but we want it to be safe.

I have the same type of fireplace and I wouldn't mess with it. Those tubes release a lot of heat and if you block them off it may cause massive heat build up and some near by frame wood to possibly get too hot and catch fire.

Another alternative is to cut out those tubes, install a stove insert (wood, gas or pellet) and reline the chimney with a stainless steel liner. Then you could brick over those vents.

Status
Not open for further replies.