Searching for a rear vent 3cu ft firebox .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trinaj

Feb 22, 2015
Brookline nh
Hello . I'm wondering if anyone knows of a rear vent , 6 inch pipe , 3 cu ft firebox ?
The only one I can come up with is jotul 600 .
Any help would be appreciated .

Sure, they were just mostly already mentioned in your previous thread: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/this-old-house-this-tricky-fireplace.146893/

Woodstock Ideal Steel and Progress Hybrid, Jotul F600 and F55, Quadrafire Isle Royale (disontinued) and Explorer 3, Hearthstone Manchester. Kind of close: High Valley 1600 (2.7 cu ft)
Some of those (F55, QF Expl. 3) need a pretty high lintel (>32"). Many of those are newer models (less than 5 years) and will be hard to find used.

I second the Jotul F55 - good stove that meets your criteria

I think hearthstone is rear vent. Isn't VC rear vent?

VC Defiant Flexburn has 3.2 cubic feet and can be rear vented at 8" or 6". The Dutchwest 2462 can also rear vent at 8". I would stay away from the Non cat version though

Reactions: Bigsby
So I found a used jotul 600 . He is asking $1200. Here is the ad:

"make / manufacturer: Jutol
model name / number: F 600 Firelight cb

7 year old Jotul woodstove for sale: great primary heating source for home or camp! We have been using it for the last 7 winters to heat our 1800 Square foot home on three levels with ease. The stove has a hairline crack in the bottom panel. The part to replace is $200. Have been using it with ease last two winters this way. Great glass space for viewing and side loading for ease.

The reburn system and blanket replaced two years ago. Burns great!"

What do you think ? Is this a good deal and how hard is it to replace the bottom that has the hairline crack ?

Sounds like he may have used the ashpan door regularly to start the fire and now has cracked the base. Pass on this one unless the price is halved and you are willing to replace the expensive stove base and do the rebuild.

Reactions: quotejso
You find a stove that fits the bill? The progress hybrid isn't quite 3 cu ft but it looks good.

Not sure why the size matters as every stove burns differently. Some more efficient than others.

You find a stove that fits the bill? The progress hybrid isn't quite 3 cu ft but it looks good.
Its close enough to 3cft. Its a very accurately measured 2.8. Alot of stove manufacturers kinda fudge on this number. The firebox of the PH is just as big as some stoves i have seen advertised at 3-3.5 cft.

Needing to rear vent, the PH is certainly a great competitor. I love mine thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.