Searching for the right pellet - How much effort?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyranid

Nov 9, 2010
Annapolis, MD
There is a bunch of great information on this board and I've been scanning over it for the past couple weeks.

I'm getting an Enviro Empress installed this weekend. As such, my search for the perfect pellet begins!

Well, maybe not perfect... but that begs the question is an exhaustive search worth the effort? I have been very impressed with the dedication (err... dare I say obsession?) with which some of you guys evaluate your pellets. The engineer in me loves it. I'm actually inspired to do some j-takeman style testing. I've been calling around my area looking for what is available and how much (plus delivery... I've worked out that I shouldn't load more than 15 bags in my little Escape before it will start crying uncle, with 20 being the breaking point).

So my question is how many bags should one burn before they can get a good feel of it? (IE ash content over time, fines in the hopper over time, etc...) I'm thinking of driving around town and getting a sampling of pellets before diving in and having several tons delivered. It will cost me a few more bucks, but I'm willing to sacrifice in the name of science! (At least thats what I will tell my wife...). I'll admit to having fun with it...

BTW - So far my options are very inexpensive pellets Greenway pellets from my local Hardwood Floors. Lowes stocks Potomac. Ace has a choice of Hamers, Lignetics, and O'Malley. I still have to check Home Depot and a couple other places. There is a local place that someone told me will let me pre-pay by the ton at a discount, but pick up bags as I go over the season (or grab 'em all at once if I can borrow a truck).

I would say that 2-3 bags of each brand burned in a clean stove should tell the tale. Take note of the overall amount of ash after the bags are done, plus how the window looks. If you have access to an infrared thermometer, or maybe even a meat thermometer stuck in the output tubes, you can get an idea of heat output.

Try the Greenways, Lignetics, and definitely the Hamers. Don't know much about the Potomacs, but I guess sampling them as well would be a good idea.

As another Empress owner my self, i know you will love it. Just as mac said buy about 2-3 bags of each and burn in a clean stove. That will give you an idea of ash content, clinkers and overall how clean the burn is.

Depending on how much delivery is i would go that route. I used to do pick up and unload with a friend and his truck help. Now a phone call and a credit card # i get all 3 tons set right by the basement door. I can bring them into the house at my leisure.

As far as getting a truck, if you live close to a home depot or lowes their truck rental is something like 20 bucks for the first hour or 90 minutes. Should be able to throw 2 tons on there. Just make sure you have a couple buddies to get it unloaded quickly.

Thanks for the advice!

As you can tell, I'm looking forward to this.

I had the day off yesterday and did some more search. I found Penningtons at Home Depot and something called 'Country Boy' at a local place (at the cut rate price of $329/ton :-O ACK!)

I may invest in an IR thermometer. I wanted something to use with my smoker anyways... :) Thanks for the tip!

Most Definetley "Try Before You Buy"

Status
Not open for further replies.