sears box stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pattie

Mar 9, 2007
please help i bought a sears box stove with no pipe or anything just the stove. i did'nt know you needed to cut a hole or anything. i finally got a wood burning stove but i can't use it. i can't find any info on this sears wood stove. can anyone help with info on stove and installation? thanks Pattie :down:

Like from Sears the dept store? Sorry I am not that familiar with different wood stove brands. Did you get it used? No install manual? Most wood stoves have a 6" flue collar and can use pretty much any listed Class A "all fuel" chimney system.

it says sears on the front door, its old i am pretty sure. my neighbor said it needs gaskets and there is light showing on the seft side where the 2 sides meet. no manuel or instructions, i paid 200 for it and now i am depressed i really thought stoves were like a chiminea. it does look alot like the volgelang same shape and design but it does say sears. thanks all any more suggests would be appreciated. pattie

Pattie: Sears did sell wood stoves at one time about a month back when Homedepot was selling of winter stock to make room for spring inventory they sold EPA approved stoves for as little as $288 So far superior to what you have Infact you made more for what you have then if purchased new plain Vogelzang box stove is about $90 and you still have a dangereous to opperate pice of junk. Where do you live? from time to time some of us members rehab stoves and install them as part of an un official donor program. It is possible we may be able to help you out

we would need more details of your current chimney setup and figure out how to install a stove
As the donor program gains sucess, we hope to attract manufactures to donate stoves.

i live in northern new jersey pompton plains. i thought i could just put it on a outside wall . my chiminey is in the center of the house between my bathroom and hotwater heater kind of under the stairs. i have a cape cod. thanks so much it is very kind of donors to help if they can.

There's a Jotul Combifire #4 on eBay right now. No takers and it's only $100. It would make a great donor stove. Oceanport, NJ.

Pattie

It doesn't sound like that stove is a good choice. You probably should have done some more research before making that purchase. If there is light showing through any of the seams of the stove, it probably needs to rebuilt, if it isn't actually damaged beyond repair.

Whatever you decide to do, we'll be happy to help you along the way. However, installing the stove in the house will require a full Class A insulated chimney or use of an existing flue that is not in use by any other appliances.

BTW I'm a Jersey boy myself. Grew up in Pompton Lakes and then Bloomingdale.

Status
Not open for further replies.