Sears Early American Franklin Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hybriseal

Hearth Supporter
Jan 10, 2008
Southern California
I have a Sears Early American Franklin Fireplace, model no. 143.84520 or 143.84530, at least 22 years old, probably more. It's a freestanding model but with no chimney or anything inside. I'm wondering if something like this can be used outdoors on a concrete patio area as an occasional stove or fireplace, and if so, how. If it can't or shouldn't be used outdoors, what are my options for this unit (convert it to gas, sell it for parts or scrap, etc.)?

Thanks for the help.

As long as it's an appropriate distance away from the house, trees, and other combustibles, you can pretty much do whatever you like outdoors... Think of the unit as more or less like a steel "chimenea". It is probably safer than a regular fire pit or other open fire, but won't be terribly efficient.

I am guessing, but would suspect that the only real challenge is that you are going to need to have some amount of chimney on the unit, probably at least 8-10 feet or so, and that will need to be supported.

Another option that works with some stoves is to turn them into smokers - do a search for "Brother Bart smoker" for a thread on this, he took an old stove and put a metal file cabinet on top of it, fill it with meat, build a fire and wait a while...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.