Season 3... the season of seasoned red oak!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornflakes

Burning Hunk
Sep 19, 2014
Maryland
I'm feeling pretty good this season! I actually finally have a substantial (substantial for me anyway)amount of dry hard wood for once! Plenty of softwoods to burn through... but his oak will be a real treat!

1.71 cords of red oak, yippy!
IMG_1605.PNG

Where the glorious red oak spent over two years loosely stacked...waiting to meet its firery demise.
IMG_1599.JPG

Nice, I got about a little over 2 cords just about one year split and stacked cant wait to burn it next year, but then I found a dead standing oak my neighbor said its been dead at least 5 years so I think I will cut and split it and should be able to burn it next year and save my red for an additional year.

Reactions: Cornflakes
Sweet. I got 4 cords of oak last year. 2 red, 2 white. None ready yet so hot stuff this year is only beech. Nice stacks!

Sweet. I got 4 cords of oak last year. 2 red, 2 white. None ready yet so hot stuff this year is only beech. Nice stacks!
I would think Beech is superior to red oak. Especially in its ability to dry!

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
I would think Beech is superior to red oak. Especially in its ability to dry!
Well they are listed about the same on most BTU charts. For me I seem to get a smidge more heat out of the oak and it also seems to coal better. However, that may be because the oak might be a bit dryer when I burn it now that I think about it. We'll see this winter as the beech is 3 years css. As far as drying, yes beech is far superior and don't get me wrong a primo firewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.