Season time for Douglas Fir

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeattleRider

Jan 22, 2014
Seattle, WA
I took some trees down around Feb of this year, so got them split and stacked at the same time.

Today I split some of the logs to check the moisture content, on the inside it is around 22% and outside is under 15%. The question is in another 2-3 months how much would the inside moisture reading drop down? Basically any chance of it getting under 15% :).

Thanks!

I took some trees down around Feb of this year, so got them split and stacked at the same time.

Today I split some of the logs to check the moisture content, on the inside it is around 22% and outside is under 15%. The question is in another 2-3 months how much would the inside moisture reading drop down? Basically any chance of it getting under 15% :).

Thanks!

It doesn't need to be under 15% to burn well. In fact, I bet the equilibrium MC for split wood is between 14 and 16 percent in the Seattle area. You will be good to go with that wood this winter. People here like to proselytize about storing wood for 3, 4 or 5 years, despite the facts that few actually substantiate the claims and that 1-2 summers worth of seasoning is plenty for all but the slowest drying of species.

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
It doesn't need to be under 15% to burn well. In fact, I bet the equilibrium MC for split wood is between 14 and 16 percent in the Seattle area. You will be good to go with that wood this winter. People here like to proselytize about storing wood for 3, 4 or 5 years, despite the facts that few actually substantiate the claims and that 1-2 summers worth of seasoning is plenty for all but the slowest drying of species.

Doug Fir will season in 4-6 months if split and stacked out of the weather. This is of course assuming that the trees are dead or standing dead when cut. Seems to take a few more months to season when green. A lot depends on your location but if you're in a place like me where the typical relative humidity is generally quite low, that does cut down on the time it takes. A lot also depends on the size of the splits you turn it into. My splits are generally pretty large for stacking and storing so I typically give a 1-2 years before burning.

Last edited:
I had problems with a particular Fir Snag grey back cut last year. The bottom 30" rounds where real sappy and snappy in the stove.

The top half was fine.

IDE give it 6 month dry time. I find logger left over rounds dry in about the same time.

proselytize about storing wood
Love that word.... it all depends on wood type. I stack my wood very close together (too close) and leave it as long as possible. I am burning wood which has been cut and split for ~ 24 months and the difference between the 'softer' wood like pine and red wood to the hardwood gum is unbelievable. They have been stored for exactly the same amount of time in the same conditions in the same row etc... the softwoods are ready but the hardwood's probably need another year for optimum burn-ability.

If you have the room to leave out in the open then a good summer will do most softwoods whereas the gum hardwood's take at least twice as long (but you get twice the BTU's.)

Love that word.... it all depends on wood type. I stack my wood very close together (too close) and leave it as long as possible. I am burning wood which has been cut and split for ~ 24 months and the difference between the 'softer' wood like pine and red wood to the hardwood gum is unbelievable. They have been stored for exactly the same amount of time in the same conditions in the same row etc... the softwoods are ready but the hardwood's probably need another year for optimum burn-ability.

If you have the room to leave out in the open then a good summer will do most softwoods whereas the gum hardwood's take at least twice as long (but you get twice the BTU's.)

Has everything to do with wood density would be my best guess, but to be fair pine is one of the faster drying of the softwoods as well. I've noticed that Doug Firs that have a very tight grain and have been slow growing season much slower than larger fast growing trees.

Thanks!

That depends on the weather, but, probably not. The good news is you don't need to. If your readings are accurate (always a big "if") your wood will burn just fine. We live in God's country so don't drink the east coast koolaid

Reactions: RiverLogger
That depends on the weather, but, probably not. The good news is you don't need to. If your readings are accurate (always a big "if") your wood will burn just fine. We live in God's country so don't drink the east coast koolaid

This will be my first winter heating with wood all the way so just trying to be as educated about it as possible :). Thank you for the responding much appreciated.

This will be my first winter heating with wood all the way so just trying to be as educated about it as possible :). Thank you for the responding much appreciated.

I agree with Bigg_Redd, anything under 25% is going to do fine, but if you can get it under 20% all the better. Just remember to keep the top of your stacks covered during rain and snow and you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.