Season Winding Down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Jan 2, 2009
NE Ohio
Well we definately aren't done here in northeast Ohio, but things are drastically slowing down woodburningwise. Just started a fire for tonight. Tommorows going to be cold but after that looks like just late evening fires and out during the entire day. Don't need much heat with highs in the 50's and lows in the 30/40s. Do this for a few weeks and shut it down late april to 1st week of may. Might go through another face cord. Whens everyone else shutting it down?

I may be done tonight here is southwest Missouri. Low tonight of maybe 30 deg. f., but tomorrow up to 65. 70 or so for the remainder of the forecast, with lows of 45 or so. My house holds heat well enough that I will, at most, need to run the furnace for a couple of hours in the evening.

This would be a week or two earlier than normal, but Dec. through March more than made up for it. What a brutal winter!

We do not expect it to be done until some time next month. We still have plenty of wood and are willing to burn it too.

Our low is supposed to be 32 tonight but dangit, I ain't lighting that stove.

I keep suffering withdrawal just at the thought. 54 outside and it's gettin' lit in a bit - just for a quick burn. Really, that's all I need - just one quick one. Well, maybe a couple splits later but that's it. Then I'm stopping. Really.

moosetrek said:
I keep suffering withdrawal just at the thought. 54 outside and it's gettin' lit in a bit - just for a quick burn. Really, that's all I need - just one quick one. Well, maybe a couple splits later but that's it. Then I'm stopping. Really.

Any time I do that I end up loading the sucker up.

going to light it up now. got one more load of pine left, and maybe 2 loads of hard wood. i'm to the end. got nothing dry enough.
so the final this year is 1 cord of hard wood and 5 cord of pine. what feels good about this is now i can take a vacation from the stove and knowing that all this past years wood was scrounged. nothing bought.

I'm just taking a SWAG here, but we're probably looking at 4-6 weeks more of this. Maybe 7-8.
Kids and a couple of the grandbabies (13 & 15) are coming for a visit this weekend from California. I expect they'll want the house warm, since anything below 70 is "cold" to them.
We've been having a morning fire, then mostly nothing during the day, then another late afternoon/early evening, then load it with a few splits for overnight. Rinse, repeat.
Less when the sun is out. That's during the day, according to the hippy dippy weatherman. There has to be someone other than me who remembers Al Sleet.

Status
Not open for further replies.