Season wood in 6 months?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nediver

Nov 25, 2007
CT
I have about 2.5 cords already seasoned, but I am splitting a huge pile of wood the end of May. I'm thinking easily 4+ cords. Its a mix of Beech, Tulip Poplar, Birch, Oak, and Maple from my yard.

I have read about the Holz Huasen and was thinking of making two smaller ones or a traditional 6 cord one, with the seasoned stuff on top. Any advice would be welcomed?

I have a small holz 7x7 and it seems to be working. All the end of the wood have checks in them and it seem the pile is getting tighter and the wood is turning color Its only been two month and Im hoping that this will work for this years burning season.good luck with your holz.You can look at other forms to get Ideas on how to build one.

anyone else with experience on a Holz Hausen? I'm looking to stack over the memorial day weekend.

If you burn your already seasoned wood first, your new stuff will get an extra couple of months to season during dry cold weather.

Also, splitting it smaller and/or cutting it into shorter lengths will speed up the process. Oak is said to take longer to season, so you might give it special attention.

Ken

I have burned maple after only 6 months split and it was fine. Just crunch it up a little smaller on the splitter than you normally would and leave it exposed to the wind all summer. Save the oak for next year!

Chris

I had holz's last year, did away with 'em this year. My wood is stacked in rows where the afternoon sun beats on it every day, and where the prevailing wind hit's it each time it blows. I think a split exposed to the elements on both ends will season better than in a holz where only one end is exposed to the sun and air.

I am splitting maple and elm and what not now. I have about 4 cords to go. As long as it is in the sun (learned my lesson with shade) and not oak, hickory, or a real dense hardwood it should be fine. Like someone else said split it smaller. The newer stoves like smaller splits anyway. With my old stove it was all about big honkin pieces...the new stove does better with a lot of smaller splits. Now I may be cussin this fall but I believe it should be fine. BTW I am in Wisconsin so it gives you an idea of climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.