seasonal but safe door (outside) covering

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
My 1840-ish house's formal front door currently has no storm door, as the storm door that was there was nearly disintegrated from deterioration that pre-dated me. This entry is rarely used, as there's another door via the 'mud room' to the kitchen. The Christmas Tree goes in and out that door, as do (rarely) large items of furniture.

I have thought of putting on some sort of replacement storm door, but am also thinking of situations I have seen where people have some sort of decent looking "planked over" winter cover over a seldom-used door- sometimes with beadboard- for such generally- unused doors for the winter.

Advantage of such a "cover" would be that I could put some more significant insulation (polyiso board) in between. Maybe ? also cheaper than a decent grade storm door that would match the house.

But of course it has to be able to be opened or "removable" in case of a need for sudden unplanned exit/ emergency.

Anyone done one of these "non-storm-door covers" and have any suggestions on what to try or avoid?

Thanks!

I'll throw an idea your way:

I currently have a tongue and groove door for my basement door to the outside which is at grade level. It is about 3/4 the height of a full size door. I am thinking of sandwiching poly-iso board on the back and beefing up the perimeter of the door to add beefier hinges.

It sounds like you had and existing screen door, so you should have hinge locations to work with. You are on the right track whether it is bead board, T & G, you can make a nice plank door and put 1" x 5" across the top and bottom and one or two across the middle. Around the perimeter use a 1" x 3" to give support for the hinges. Put poly-iso board in the areas in between and cover with some thin wood on the inside. Home Depot sells a nice bead board 1/4" thick pine that would cover the inside just fine. You can use a regular latch or barrel latches to keep it closed.

A good weather seal around the door frame perimeter should make a difference. Storm doors are not cheap, and having an old house pretty much guarantees no standard size door, which makes installs a PITA.

Status
Not open for further replies.