Seasoned..... for 3 days!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigFir

Burning Hunk
Sep 22, 2015
Kamloops BC
Thought I would show some of the easterners the benefits of conifers.......

I fell this doug fir on Sunday.....
021.jpg

Got some of it split by Tuesday, let it sit in the sun for 1 day and this is what it looks like.
That is sure a handsome shadow!

And this is how it burns on Wednesday......
fir fire.jpg
Only 6 more cords to go!

Cheers,

Attachments

• 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 355
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 148
Last edited by a moderator:
That's some fairly dense fir too. The growth rings are quite close so you should be getting some decent btu.

Reactions: Gboutdoors
Nice grab, BigFir! >> I, too, have heard that Doug burns pretty long, but obviously I don't see it here.
Sadly, no pics, but I've had my eye on a dead White Oak in my neighbor's woods for a couple years. It finally fell and I got the OK to go after it. It was hung up but I managed to get the upper limbs off of it. Rounds were up to about 10", and all of it was dry enough to go in the stove now. I had to take off some crumbly punk, then I split and stacked it in my SIL's shed...about 1/4 cord of nice heartwood. I'll go back after the trunk when it gets cooler. Diameter of the trunk is 2' at least so quite a bit of good wood there, and it's easier to get the punk off the big rounds. I'm keeping the rest for our stove. ==c

Conifers burn when unseasoned because of their high resin content. It's just bad practice to burn any unseasoned wood.
Kinda the point of the thread, this is very dry wood. If my meter still worked I would I would show you. Wet fir still does not burn well, trust me I have certainly tried a few times over the past 15 years. I believe this tree has been dead for over 5 years and still standing.
There is probably 20 more in the same little pocket.:)
034.jpg 035.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beetle kill or other? When I saw the thread, figured it was standing dead based on the amount of checking in the wood. :rolleyes: Always good to get confirmation though.

Awesome find @BigFir got to love standing dead doug fir! I was in Kamloops yesterday visiting family. Nice the rain held off for us for the most part.

Awesome find @BigFir got to love standing dead doug fir! I was in Kamloops yesterday visiting family. Nice the rain held off for us for the most part.
Glad you timed it right, because we got heavy rain later on Saturday, made me feel like I was on the coast.......

Got some lodgepole pine the easy way this weekend. Usually don't go for the pine as I have to go farther than fir. But could not pass up the offer! Processed it right into the trailer, didn't even have to put on gloves, or put down the beer.

011.jpg
020.jpg
025.jpg

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Glad you timed it right, because we got heavy rain later on Saturday, made me feel like I was on the coast.......
Yeah we were in Revelstoke by Saturday night. The rain was very heavy along with thunder storms. When we woke up Sunday the mountains were covered in snow.

Got some lodgepole pine the easy way this weekend. Usually don't go for the pine as I have to go farther than fir. But could not pass up the offer! Processed it right into the trailer, didn't even have to put on gloves, or put down the beer.

View attachment 184150 View attachment 184151 View attachment 184152
Wow thats quite the trailer load. Nice to get an easy score like that. I love lodgepole pine, its not as good as fir but its still great btus.

I have no complaints with lodgepole either, just have a longer drive to access it. Revy gets amazing amounts of precipitation, spent plenty of time working and sledding there. I've seen 18' accumulated snow on the monashees to the west of town.

Status
Not open for further replies.