Seasoned for two years, what is your moisture content?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDRock

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2012
Grand Blanc, Mi
Just a simple little question cuz IDK.
What is your moisture content of your wood that has been seasoned for two years?

I will let you know next week if Santa brings me a moisture meter! Hehe

Reactions: milleo
Dependent on the wood variety. Hedge, Red Elm, Hard Maple, and ash is ranging 16-19, while my honey locust, mulberry, and oak is ranging around the 20-25.

Just a simple little question cuz IDK.
What is your moisture content of your wood that has been seasoned for two years?
With the wood we have, after two years it goes directly in the Lopi Liberty, burns great. The wood we burn after two years range from Cherry,Sugar Maple,Red Maple,Beech and Ironwood.

The only wood I use the m/m on is the dead standing if I'm cutting in the winter.

Merry Christmas
Zap

No simple answer, I have said it many times on here, drying wood just by time is silly, what kind of wood was it, was it green when cut, how do you stack your wood, where do you live, was it split right away? If you do it right 2 years is going to have most of the woods dry but YRMV.

I have a mm and use it once in awhile.Most of the wood is only seasoned for 1 year. I like to test the inner splits versus the outer splits and to no surprise the inner ones will be in the mid to lower 20's and the outer ones will be under 20 ...excluding oak. Due to this I have recently decided to stack single row for better air circulation. I also average 1 mouse home per stack lately :) I feel guilty about the eviction but they usually just relocate to another nearby stack.

have a half cord of locust over 2 yr...top covered in winter...it measures 10-15%, checked a few that were under 10...some of these were long dead trees when cut that were 17-20 to begin with...

have a half cord of locust over 2 yr...top covered in winter...it measures 10-15%, checked a few that were under 10...some of these were long dead trees when cut that were 17-20 to begin with...
I have experienced the same thing as albert 1029 regarding black locust- have cut many dead trees that had moisture reading below 20%. Usually these were trees that had already lost most of their bark.

Usually these were trees that had already lost most of their bark.
affirmative...I know some of them were at least 6 years old and I'll bet some were reaching at LEAST 10...wouldn't be surprised if some were 20 years old...I know about the non-rotting properties of BL, but it still amazes me when I find the old ones...

Don't have a MM. Have 2 types of wood birch & spruce.
Have extreme cold dry winters, & sometimes dry summers with temps in the 70s.
Season outside for 1 year, then to the shed for 2 years. Then burned.
Burns great, looks, feel & sounds dry. ;)
Would guess between 10 & 16%.

I tested my oak that has seasoned for two years and its 20%, I have it stored in a great spot, lot of sun and wind and stacked single file, I also split it smaller than I normally would. I have a lot of maple, ash and cherry thats been seasoned one year, Ill test it next Oct and see what two years does to those species.

I have no idea what the moisture content is in our wood nor do I care. But I'll make a bet with anyone that the wood we are burning is great burning wood and low in moisture. Unlike oldspark, I do feel time is important. I do fully agree with him though that it really does depend upon the type of wood and will add that it also depends upon where you live and how you season your wood.

YRMV ? ?
Year Round Meteorological Variables ?
Thanks Dave, cuz I didn't know what the heck that meant ;lol

I realize it depends on wood type , and YRMV ;)

Whats the highest MC, U put in the stove ??

Whats the highest MC, U put in the stove ??

I used to burn stuff CSS in Oct & started burning the end of Oct thru the winter. ;)
I'm guessing 40%. Got lots of creosote then LOL :)

You burn what you got, now I just got 2 + years CSS.
No creosote issues now ;)

Reactions: milleo
I guess It's not ! Just a simple little question ;lol

your results may vAry;)

I have no idea what the moisture content is in our wood nor do I care. But I'll make a bet with anyone that the wood we are burning is great burning wood and low in moisture. Unlike oldspark, I do feel time is important. I do fully agree with him though that it really does depend upon the type of wood and will add that it also depends upon where you live and how you season your wood.
BWS, time is important I am just saying using that as the only guide is sorrta naive and your wood might not be as dry as you think, 3 years in log form or rounds, thrown in a pile in a hole, and poor drying practices in general will leave you with some grief. You and I are much more alike than we want to admit to.;)

Reactions: chvymn99
For sure and our wood won't be stacked in log form or rounds or thrown in a pile. You are certainly right that poor drying practices will bring some grief. Might even cause you to learn a few new words...

Status
Not open for further replies.